AFC Harrogate Chat & Queries

How far through the joining stage are u have u been to assement center have u had a meeting and yes I will be on ur medical notes but if he writes it was down to stress you should be fine :)

My son has a meeting on Thursday at our local Army careers place. I'm sure I read somewhere he has to do a test or something beforehand but he says he hasn't received anything through the portal, just an invitation that he has to reply to (which he's done)

The guy said he had to have a rough idea of his choices and will watch a video and have a chat. Is that about it? I've got to take him as it's about 8 miles from where we live.

How long after this will it be before he goes to the assessment centre? He's been running and going to the gym but certainly not ready yet Fitness wise.

Ah ha okay I’m your guy as just recently went through the whole process okay so no he wont need to take any tests whilst there that day is just been set up to give him more info into all different job roles and for you guys to ask more questions

Now if this all goes swimmingly he will be at assessment center within a 3-4 months around that time period ( personal experience) so he has plenty time to get in shape I personally didn’t do any training I know dumb of me and I still passed with high marks so I’m more than confident in saying he will smash it the tests he will be required to take at assessment center is

Full Medical ( pee in cup) ( eye tests) (bmi) Hearing he will do all of that on the first full day

After that they will be split into 2 groups, Group one will go do the tests on computer

Army Cognitive Test, basic English and maths if he hasn’t already got the required GCSE and if he’s going for a trade he will take science test which 100% would revise for I didn’t do but heard it was hard

Then after these tests they switch

10kg 15kg 30kg 40kg bag lift
2 20kg water can carry 120m

Then on the finale day he will do team tasks basically just seeing if he has what it takes to join in and work well in a team then following this will be the 1.5 mile run so u will already be tired from team tasks for like 1 hour and a half of heavy lifting ect

The times are as follow for the 1.5 mile run

All junior entries must run 1.5 miles in under 14 mins 30 seconds unless going for the paratroopers then it must be below 9 mins

The day will then conclude with a formal interview asking you some final questions about what regiment and ur 3 job choices after that u will be told pass or fail

If he passes result he will get his date to start in the following months :) hope this helped And GOOD LUCK

JimBo that is very helpful- thank you!

Which assessment centre did you go to? We are closest to Lichfield so I presume he will end up there.

Are the assessment days over a weekend or conducted anytime.

Does anyone know what times the open day starts on the 23rd March. Just wondering whether to drive up the night before as it's about a 3 hour drive.

My son has been for his army brief today so the process is moving on now.

Does anyone know what times the open day starts on the 23rd March. Just wondering whether to drive up the night before as it's about a 3 hour drive.

My son has been for his army brief today so the process is moving on now.
If you mean the AFC Open Day I would guess 10am ish?

Although I know infantry play an important and vital role I would prefer him to think about what skills/trade he could use when he comes out. He's set to get very good grades in his exams and I just think he needs to think a bit more about it all.

The guy at the careers centre (not a soldier, capita guy) told him that he knows an retired infantry soldier that has a teaching degree, health & safety degree and management qualifications. All well and good, but what are those qualifications in the real world. Does the teaching degree actually mean he can teach in a U.K. school or college? I think the careers advisors should be advising kids in a more productive way. They should see beyond a 15 year olds possibly romantic view of what an infantry soldier is.

I'm a teacher and it took me 4 years to get my degree. I had to work in schools and teach.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my comments as I am in total admiration in all that you do in the military. I just want my son to make the best of his intelligence.