AFC Harrogate Chat & Queries

Hi can anyone help me please, I'm wondering what the medical requirements are for joining Harrogate? Is it as simple as taking a form to your GP and getting them to complete it? I only ask as my GP charges loads to complete forms so I may ask a family friend to do it for me instead as he's a doctor.
Thanks

The form provides access to your med records, so it will need to be your GP, and they are paid a fee by the army for it.they have to send it. Speak to your recruiter though. Its not complex at all.

amnesia

Old-Salt
Hi can anyone help me please, I'm wondering what the medical requirements are for joining Harrogate? Is it as simple as taking a form to your GP and getting them to complete it? I only ask as my GP charges loads to complete forms so I may ask a family friend to do it for me instead as he's a doctor.
Thanks
It has to be done by your GP unfortunately, your family friend isnt suitable.

The Army/Capita pay for it.

Bigboi

Crow
Hi
I'm 16 and going to Harrogate in September. I've got a bit of a foreign accent because I'm only half English and picked up my dad's accent slightly,so now i have a part English part continental accent. I've had people taking the piss at school,is it something I should worry about when going to Harrogate. Do you think people will take the piss and be racist to me or just accept me?

LWilson

Clanker
Hi
I'm 16 and going to Harrogate in September. I've got a bit of a foreign accent because I'm only half English and picked up my dad's accent slightly,so now i have a part English part continental accent. I've had people taking the piss at school,is it something I should worry about when going to Harrogate. Do you think people will take the piss and be racist to me or just accept me?
People might take the piss a bit but that is all just fun.

louby50

Swinger
My son has just applied to join, he will be 16 in May and looks set to get excellent GCSE results so could go down the Officer route. However he is adamant he wants to join as soon as he can.

He's put down Armoured Engineer as his first choice. I'm trying to get my head around this all so have been reading lots of information online.

Although immensely proud of what he wants to do I am also terrified - made worse by watching Raw Recruits on CH5. His dad says it's exaggerated as they have to make it entertaining for TV but I'm not so sure. I'm pretty convinced that it's quite realistic.

So all of you ex AFC Harrogate squaddies.....how close to reality is it?

My son is 16 and passed selection last week we were informed this morning he has a place at Harrogate starting on the 10th if March. He will be doing the short course. Can anyone recommend anything he really needs to know? We are not even sure what happens next all he knows is they will send the final job offer once back ground checks are completed. Thanks

NemoIII

War Hero
made worse by watching Raw Recruits on CH5. His dad says it's exaggerated as they have to make it entertaining for TV but I'm not so sure.
How does this make it worse? I passed out of Harrogate 4 years ago, on the long course but Armoured engineer is short course.

My son has just applied to join, he will be 16 in May and looks set to get excellent GCSE results so could go down the Officer route. However he is adamant he wants to join as soon as he can.

He's put down Armoured Engineer as his first choice. I'm trying to get my head around this all so have been reading lots of information online.

Although immensely proud of what he wants to do I am also terrified - made worse by watching Raw Recruits on CH5. His dad says it's exaggerated as they have to make it entertaining for TV but I'm not so sure. I'm pretty convinced that it's quite realistic.

So all of you ex AFC Harrogate squaddies.....how close to reality is it?
Which part are you worried about?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

louby50

Swinger
I'm his mum.

He's 15. Please cut me some slack.

We have very little experience of army life in our family. It's more or less an unknown entity to us apart from what the media portrays to us.

Of course it's scary and upsetting seeing your child shouted and sworn at - necessary I know but still an eye opener.

But no one has answered my question- is the TV programme a true reflection?

NemoIII

War Hero
I'm his mum.

We have very little experience of army life in our family. It's more or less an unknown entity to us apart from what the media portrays to us.

Of course it's scary and upsetting seeing your child shouted and sworn at - necessary I know but still an eye opener.

I was just wonder in what aspect you wanting to know is a true reflection?

I'm his mum.

Ive only seen episode 1, bear in mind the TV programme packs 6 months of training into about two hours, and they aren't going to focus on the hours spent in Education doing their qualifications in English, Maths and ICT. They are going to focus on the more dramatic elements.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

amnesia

Old-Salt
My son is 16 and passed selection last week we were informed this morning he has a place at Harrogate starting on the 10th if March. He will be doing the short course. Can anyone recommend anything he really needs to know? We are not even sure what happens next all he knows is they will send the final job offer once back ground checks are completed. Thanks
He will be sent an email from Security Wathdog, he needs to look out for this as it is very important. On the email is a link he clicks into, and completes the form.

Once that is done a Final Offer will be sent to his portal- this is the job offer. He needs to log into his portal and send this offer back.

Two weeks before he goes he will receive his joining documents- these will be emailed to him.

Further up this page someone has very helpfully provided a copy of previous Joining Instructions- it’s worth reading these.

This has all the information he needs - full list of kit to take, when to arrive, what time, what to prepare etc.

Then he just turns up.

If you are not taking him, make sure you speak to his Recruiter or his CSM and get him train tickets booked.

He will be sent an email from Security Wathdog, he needs to look out for this as it is very important. On the email is a link he clicks into, and completes the form.

Once that is done a Final Offer will be sent to his portal- this is the job offer. He needs to log into his portal and send this offer back.

Two weeks before he goes he will receive his joining documents- these will be emailed to him.

This has all the information he needs - full list of kit to take, when to arrive, what time, what to prepare etc.

Then he just turns up.

If you are not taking him, make sure you speak to his Recruiter or his CSM and get him train tickets booked.

Thanks very much that’s a great help! We will be taking him down so we won’t need to worry about train tickets. I was hoping we would get the kit list a bit earlier so I had time to get everything he needs but at least we will have a couple of weeks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Povey Juniors 13
NCLRD123 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 32
The_Unstoppable Juniors 11

Latest Threads