AFC Harrogate Chat & Queries

Hi Anyone going in March'17 intake Long course, passed my AC end of November with a B and got my conditional place just waiting for my pre-employment checks to complete but I have a weekend job that I need to give 1 mths notice for and I want to leave end of Feb., any idea how long the checks take to complete?, We also want to make a start on the kit list but don't want to tempt fate
OK just make sure you leave work in plenty of time, If I remember rightly the Short course starts on the 19th of March and the long course starts on 26th March. If you are on the Long Course i would be handing my notice in at work no later than Sunday 19th February(rather than the following weekend of Sunday 26th which is 4 weeks to the day you join ) if you require a months notice as in the past I have seen lots of applicants fall foul to employers trying to refuse them to go with working patterns and could be ARRSEholes and want you in work on 26th March. Regarding PEC's just get everything sent back immediately to the NRC when you recieve it and if in doubt nip into your ACC and chat or phone the NRC back immediately.

Iceman22

Swinger
Yep 26th long course if I ever get my final letter but I've made a start on my kit list anyway

Iceman22

Swinger
My CSM said Harrogate send them out in batches but has no way of knowing how long it will be. He checked my file said everthing in order just have to wait. He said some don't get them until day before but I'm hoping it's the D's or the late passers as I've got to give notice at my weekend job in the next week or so

Iceman22

Swinger
Yeah I'm at MPCT and my Staff did it straight away

I am hoping to join the army very soon, but can't find any information on the March intake at Harrogate. When I get my GCSE results, if I don't get my results I need to continue my sixth form at my school, then I will happily join the AFC to continue my training as a soldier. What I am not sure about is the time inbetween September and March of Year 12 or similar, and if you need to be in a school during that time if you are applying to join the March intake, as I wont know my results till August 25, which is too late for the September intake. Anyone who knows how this works or has had a similar situation please fill me in, because the internet so far is been a bit useless. Ta. This will be for the March intake of 2018 by the way.

Iceman22

Swinger
I'm due to start Harrogate March'17

No it's not too late for September intake they take your expected results and hopefully when your accepted for September when your results are through you just send copies of the certificates provided your old enough 16yrs 7 mths.

If you're aiming for March intake and are close to an MPCT apply there. This is what I did (2hr journey each way though!.) I took my exams applied to 6th form (as a fall back), got my exam results but because I was deferred was too late for September intake so applied to MPCT, which is a Roll-on Roll-off course to be honest although I would have passed selection, it probably wouldn't of been a great grade. They prepared me both mentally and physically to pass the AC and made a huge difference to my pass grade, I can't praise them enough plus I've passed 5 lots of exams in the 6 mths I've been there.

I advise you to speak to recruitment and discuss your options as this worked for me but might not work for you.

Good luck mate!

Last edited:
I am hoping to join the army very soon, but can't find any information on the March intake at Harrogate. When I get my GCSE results, if I don't get my results I need to continue my sixth form at my school, then I will happily join the AFC to continue my training as a soldier. What I am not sure about is the time inbetween September and March of Year 12 or similar, and if you need to be in a school during that time if you are applying to join the March intake, as I wont know my results till August 25, which is too late for the September intake. Anyone who knows how this works or has had a similar situation please fill me in, because the internet so far is been a bit useless. Ta. This will be for the March intake of 2018 by the way.
I take it you are Year 11 at present if awaiting GCSE results on 25th August......we have two intakes a year in September and March, all will depend on your age and how well you do at Assessment Centre and will determine if you do the 1 year Long Course for Combat roles such as Infantry, Royal Artillery (Big Guns), Royal Armoured Corp (tanks) or Army Air Corp where you need to be between 16 years old to 17 years and 6 months or the Royal Logistic Corp Driver from 16:3 to 17:6. The short course of 6 months is for all the other roles for Junior Entry from 16 years and 6 months to 17:6. Remember AFC Harrogate is your basic training (CMSR) plus helping the community, Adventure training plus academic subjects like Literacy and Numeracy to get you up to and beyond Level 2. A lot of job roles will depend on GCSE grades maths, english and Science (as stated you will give provissional grades during the process and if you don't get them om August 25th and require them for the job you may of provissionally passed for will get moved to one where you are eligible. There is a lot to discuss so either ask your School Careers Advisor if they can contact your local Army Careers centre, or nip in with your parents to have a face to face chat...also look at Armyjobs to either look at the Job role and application process or to start your application. What ever happens don't go tunnel vision and also apply for College, 6th Form and apprenticeships as back up plans.

Iceman22

Swinger
Hi
I'm considering changing my bank to RBS Holt's as suggested on the Harrogate open day, anyone know whether there is any advantage to this or just stay with my current bank Halifax?

Hi
I'm considering changing my bank to RBS Holt's as suggested on the Harrogate open day, anyone know whether there is any advantage to this or just stay with my current bank Halifax?
If your happy with your current bank I'd personally stay out.

Darcie

Crow
Hi, I'm starting the short course this month at Harrogate and wondered if anyone had advice on luggage size? Think I've got the kit list etc and everything else covered but wondered what sort/size/amount/ of cases were best to take and whether a spare is a good idea if there's more to bring back??

steph_f

Swinger
Hi, Id personally take a suitcase to which you can fit everything into your suitcase will then be stored under your bed so if its too big you have a slight problem good luck and work hard!

Hi, does anyone know what to wear for the briefing, I've got my briefing tomorrow morning.
If you mean your initial army brief then suited and booted or shoes, shirt tie and trousers.....you have your interview ( individual candidate discussion)after the initial army brief presentation so remember to look at role finder and look up TACOS and Values and standards as your AB letter would of stated.....good luck

TwinnyLad

Swinger
Can anyone recommend what I am to do for the time between September and the March Intake, as I have just finished school and I'm aware I'm am to stay in education till 18 but Im more worried about my parents being fined for not being in education for that long period.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Povey Juniors 13
NCLRD123 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 32
The_Unstoppable Juniors 11

Latest Threads