Aerospace company or Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by maddog1990, Jan 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ​Hello there,

I currently have a job with a high profile defence company However I also got a acceptance letter to Sandhurst with a start date for May 2013. I am posting on here having seen lots of advice for others and I was wondering if people could give me their opinions whether to join the army or not.

Kind Regards.
  2. I did it the other way round. Army first then joined a couple of major defence companies.

Go away, join up, have some fun and then go back to BAE Systems or Thales or whatever.
  3. Unless you clean the bogs, who in their right mind would leave a job with BAe to join the Army?
  4. "Every man thinks meanly of himself for never having been a soldier, or having been to sea" - Samuel Johnson
    • Like Like x 3
  5. what do you "really" want to do?
    or look back in 25 years and then decide if you made the right choice and regret it?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Corrected to read:

I currently have a job with a high profile defence company[.] However[,] I also got [received] a [an] acceptance letter to [for] Sandhurst with a start date for [in]May 2013. I am posting [] here having seen lots of advice [provided]for others and I was wondering if people [any members] could [would] give [offer] [] their opinion[] [on]whether to join the army or not.

Clearly for you...not!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jew want to spend yor time with pedants like the bloke abuv me?

Stick at your civi job get paid significantly more, join the TA, do tours, shoot shit, simple.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So you need assistance in deciding whether to lead the Queen's soldiers or to make rich men richer still?
    If that's the level of your motivation, do you really think that you'll last to the end of week 5?
    You stay where you are son, you've answered your own question.

Old Rat
  9. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

I wouldn't bet on the "get paid more" unless they're in a very niche trade, and those tend to be contract not full-time. Entry level in the defence business generally isn't bad, but military pay goes up further and faster.
  10. Does your job have great prospects, is there a ladder to climb or are you at the top of it? What age are you and what do you want out of life? Do you want 4 years in the army with the possibility of limb loss or worse or the other side of the coin a lifetime in the army? Or do you want a wife and kids who you go home to every night all of the year with a safer job? All questions you should ask yourself and then follow your heart and don't have any regrets
  11. I had a position offered in a defence fi rm, but realised as a graduate engineer, it would be dullsville. This was confirmed on my year in industry.

A few times I've wondered if I would have been better doing the engineer thing, not the Army, but it would have been working to live with the civvi firm, whereas the "job" in the Army was much more.

No regrets. Wi out knowing what your defence job is, whether you enjoy it or not and whether you stand a chance at passing RMAS, hard to advise more than that.
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Defence industry and a way out? Get out and get out now. It's a declining industry with fewer and fewer jobs every year, redundancies in every major defence contractor and generally poorly paid against comparable roles in other industries.
  13. Bouillabaisse...are you talking about the Armed Forces, or the Defence Industry? Hard to tell...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Indeed, he could join an organisation with a dismal record of failure and an inability to manage project within budget or he could join BAe - what's the difference? ;-)
  15. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

If he kills lots of people whilst in the army he gets a medal; if he does the same working for BAE he gets transfered to the quality department.
    • Like Like x 1