Advise me 4x4

Prices are announced here; base model is $84000 which is pretty competitive with the Landcruiser Prado and considerably cheaper than the new full sized Landcruiser 300. It’s way cheaper than the 110 Defenders that are coming here, which are all $110k and upwards.

What is interesting is their approach to servicing. One of the reasons that Landrovers don’t sell well beyond the big cities is the lack of a dealer network beyond the major centres. There’s a Toyota dealer in every town.

Ineos have announced a deal with Bosch service centres which have franchises all over Oz. Bosch will do the OEM servicing. They’ve also announced a helicopter response service outback.

Must say I’m impressed.

Will be interesting to see how they come out, there are elements of the Grenadier that are quite appealing.
Some bits aren't like being built in France, but you can't have everything.

Will be interesting to see how they come out, there are elements of the Grenadier that are quite appealing.
Some bits aren't like being built in France, but you can't have everything.
I can see why Ineos bought the Smart factory. Shame they didn’t buy Honda Swindon instead. I read somewhere that Honda wouldn’t sell it as a going concern.

riksavage

War Hero
Prices are announced here; base model is $84000 which is pretty competitive with the Landcruiser Prado and considerably cheaper than the new full sized Landcruiser 300. It’s way cheaper than the 110 Defenders that are coming here, which are all $110k and upwards.

What is interesting is their approach to servicing. One of the reasons that Landrovers don’t sell well beyond the big cities is the lack of a dealer network beyond the major centres. There’s a Toyota dealer in every town.

Ineos have announced a deal with Bosch service centres which have franchises all over Oz. Bosch will do the OEM servicing. They’ve also announced a helicopter response service outback.

Must say I’m impressed.
I understand they’re uploading all maintenance manuals to the web. Idea being you can order the parts and fix the beast yourself. Aimed squarely at buyers in remote areas with limited service centre access. Also useful for militaries who can train their own to keep the vehicles serviceable.

INEOS are apparently losing 250million annually on the project thus far, price of R&D, testing and manufacturing set up.

I understand they’re uploading all maintenance manuals to the web. Idea being you can order the parts and fix the beast yourself. Aimed squarely at buyers in remote areas with limited service centre access. Also useful for militaries who can train their own to keep the vehicles serviceable.

INEOS are apparently losing 250million annually on the project thus far, price of R&D, testing and manufacturing set up.
They’re not losing anything; they’re making ban entrepreneurial investment. It’s no different to the cash burn of any other new business.

cymraeg

War Hero
Not sure which year lr deleted the swirl flaps on the freelander 2 but worth checking cos if you have them and they go they cam take the engine with them

riksavage

War Hero
They’re not losing anything; they’re making ban entrepreneurial investment. It’s no different to the cash burn of any other new business.
Like Oil and Gas, spend a fortune on seismic testing, exploration and drilling wells, recover on production and downstream refining.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not sure which year lr deleted the swirl flaps on the freelander 2 but worth checking cos if you have them and they go they cam take the engine with them
Good J2, thanks!

CivvyPete said:
Whatever folks go for, if you genuinely want to drive off road in all weathers, remember your choice of tyres is going to be as important as your choice of vehicle. Proper knobbly off road tyres will keep your moving when the going gets tough, but ruin your handling on road. Four wheel drive won't help much if you are shod with regular highway tyres. Maybe consider two sets of wheels, one for the daily commute and another for heading up in to the mountains.

Also accounted for @CivvyPete, I'm planning on these: Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus which seem to get the best reviews for a combination 4-season / offroad capable / highway tyre, so happy to pay a small premium. As before the requirement is mostly roads (steep with a lot of small tight turns), regular bits of metalled road and occasional steep rock crawling. If anyone knows better or otherwise, interested in other options.

Last edited:
Good J2, thanks!

Also accounted for @CivvyPete, I'm planning on these: Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus which seem to get the best reviews for a combination 4-season / offroad capable / highway tyre, so happy to pay a small premium. As before the requirement is mostly roads (steep with a lot of small tight turns), regular bits of metalled road and occasional steep rock crawling. If anyone knows better or otherwise, interested in other options.
What size rims do you have? They came with 17, 18 or 19” rims IIRC. If you’ve got 19s, might be worth seeking out some 17s on EBay.

We’ve just changed our Discovery Sport from one on 19s to one on 17s. The difference in ride quality is startling. We’re running the new on on Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons which grip work really well on mud, sand and grass. Not been near snow yet. Also, the wheels aren’t as vulnerable to kerb damage and a puncture is far less likely to write off the whole tyre. The low profile tyres on our first one weren’t my choice; you can’t pre-spec a Landrover when ordering here. You get what comes on the ship.

The old car ran on Kuomos most of its 200k kms. The Continental Cross Contact Sports it was fitted with originally were garbage; lasted 16k km; it chewed those tyres. It was very hard to source a good all season tyre that worked well on the gravel tracks and grass fields it gets driven on when off-road.

cymraeg

War Hero
Pirelli scorpions are good as stated above (we have them on the evoque) if you want something slightly more aggressive I run bfg k02's on my trooper and have no complaints

Pirelli scorpions are good as stated above (we have them on the evoque) if you want something slightly more aggressive I run bfg k02's on my trooper and have no complaints
I reckon they’d make a Freelander pretty unpleasant to drive on the road. Assuming Sarastro’s has wheels that allow such a high profile.

Good J2, thanks!

BFG AT2 would be my choice. They are what you find on pretty much any farming pickup round here. Reasonable on road and good off it.

chimera

LE
BFG AT2 would be my choice. They are what you find on pretty much any farming pickup round here. Reasonable on road and good off it.
Glad you have advised those. Have just ordered a set of 4 to be fitted on Friday!

Michellin Crossclimate 2 are pretty good value - first all year/condiiton tire with 3 snowflakes, so will be trialling them on a skoda 4x4 in the alps this winter.
Not sure about mud plugging
Cost is fairly reasonable and you don't need to change them with the season

BFG A/Ts are just the default choice really, a good 50/50balance between off and on road, good for all climates and terrains... and frankly Mud Terrains only get a few yards further before getting stuck as well.
Plus they're bloody long lasting and really OK on tarmac.

Black mark against the VW Tourag.
just had a loooooong look at a black V10 Toe rag that has very messily shat itself on the hard shoulder of the A1 south of Doncaster.
I didn’t know they had that much oil in them !. The owner did look pleased.
if only the Germans had a word for schadenfreuden.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So on tyres, couldn't go for the Pirelli's I envisaged because they don't make the correct size and I'm cautious about fitting a wider tyre. There is a lot of room for height, but less for width. Size is 235/60 R18 which limits the choice a bit, and I'm not keen on paying to change the rims.

Is anyone familiar with the FALKEN WILDPEAK WP/AT3W ? Seems to get good reviews. Already picked up that there is a less good AT3WA model that gets sold as the same, but I can get a set advertised as the WP/AT3W.

Also needs to be snow capable.

Last edited:
Black mark against the VW Tourag.
just had a loooooong look at a black V10 Toe rag that has very messily shat itself on the hard shoulder of the A1 south of Doncaster.
I didn’t know they had that much oil in them !. The owner did look pleased.
if only the Germans had a word for schadenfreuden.
I never even SAW a V10, only heard of them. But I've always liked the Toerag, extra large helping of VW estate car.... but, they cost a bomb to run apparently, basically you're in Range-Rover-out-of-it's-warranty-territory.
Still a better taste alternative to the Audi Q7 or Cayenne though, that latter has a duckface.
I assume they're crap off road too, they make a great deal of sense for rich people in S. Spain where there's loads of unpaved dry tracks.

Michellin Crossclimate 2 are pretty good value - first all year/condiiton tire with 3 snowflakes, so will be trialling them on a skoda 4x4 in the alps this winter.
Not sure about mud plugging
Cost is fairly reasonable and you don't need to change them with the season
So, uptiddly up to resort on these was great.
Bang in the middle of the biggest dump of snow for a while, very happy.

After a bit, put chains on as well, as it was bloody late at night/early in the morning and the snow plows were only in downhill mode at that ungodly hour.

All in all, very happy, would recommend (at the moment... The down hill leg might be interesting!)

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So, uptiddly up to resort on these was great.
Bang in the middle of the biggest dump of snow for a while, very happy.

After a bit, put chains on as well, as it was bloody late at night/early in the morning and the snow plows were only in downhill mode at that ungodly hour.

All in all, very happy, would recommend (at the moment... The down hill leg might be interesting!)
You must be in the Alps. Its up to my knees at the moment.