Advise me 4x4

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit hard to pack a week's climbing and living kit onto a quad though.

Might not have the fuel economy or crew comfort you need mind, but hard to beat off road and has cab and trailer options

From 2009.

J150 = IMV4
I’m not sure your right, but I can’t find a definitive reference. Scanning various forums and wikis, I believe J150 platform is an evolution of the J90 Prado platform which predates IMV by 4 years. J150 has been been used on the Tacoma, FJ Cruiser and 4-Runner.

The IMV platform was new for the Hilux AN10 in 2004 and underpins the Hilux, Fortuner and Innova. No doubt the architecture is very similar.

I found a post on a 4-Runner forum discussing a body mount replacement which suggests that the two platforms differ substantially around the structural nature of the fire. It sort of connects with the Hilux wiki which states that the Hilux and 4-Runner have different chassis and body mounts, despite being outwardly similar.

No idea if it’s true!

This thread makes me laugh. I laugh because everything is subjective to the use case and the specific market the car’s being used in. Vehicle nameplates are just that really. A “Ford Ranger” in one market could, and has been, a completely different vehicle to that in other markets. Some brands and models are market-specific and just not sold in other markets. We have three different Ford 4x4s in our (US) family; none could be bought in Europe.

Even a Land Rover. Between a Series II (being realistic, there aren’t that may Series 1s available) and the last Defenders, there was a gulf of difference. But the name “Defender” goes on a completely different vehicle today. The Disco was originally a bastardised RR, but eventually became a monocoque-chassised vehicle, quite different from its predecessors.

Even “4x4” means different things. To me, “4x4” means something like the red and yellow knobs in a Series Rover, even if they are now electronic switches or dials. Something like the Mercedes 4-Matic or Audi Quattro permanent all-wheel drive is quite different. Not to say I wouldn’t give my right arm for an Ur-Quattro, but a Toyota HiLux it is not. The HiLux will go on forever in mediocrity and never let you down. 500000 miles later, it will still not let you down. A G-Wagen will have cost 3x the new price in spares and not let you down. But a G-Wagen could be a $200,000 AMG beast brand new, a Puch military vehicle or even a ferking Peugeot.

Personally I’d buy a 2-dr Ford Bronco in the OP’s position, but you probably can’t.

riksavage

War Hero
Wait six months and buy a Grenadier. They’re certainly putting it through the ringer, and if you believe the YouTube 4x4 fanbase feedback, they definitely look promising.

Wait six months and buy a Grenadier. They’re certainly putting it through the ringer, and if you believe the YouTube 4x4 fanbase feedback, they definitely look promising.

£45-50k for starting specs by the looks of things, around the same as the new Defender.

Going to be an interesting comparison when they launch.

I attended the roadshow thing at the Glanusk Estate a few weeks back. Interesting.

Latest Threads