Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jlatham1, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'll be applying for the army next year and hope to begin basic training around next summer as long as everything goes according to plan. I was hoping i could get some advice on what exercises to do and basically anything you can tell me that will help me to get physically fit enough by then, i have access to a treadmill, cycling machine and numerous weights at home so can you recommend particular workouts to do using these.

As of right now i am a terribly unfit 16 year old heavy smoker with a pot belly haha, any help would be appreciated.
  2. loads of running (outside)and millions of situps pressups pullups, easy
  3. Running outside is much better than on a treadmill. And what 05NMANIK said. With the weights you want to get a good mix of strength and endurance. Theres loads of treads on health and fitness about weight training so you can have alook at them. Always run at least 3 miles and try to aim for 7 minute miles. Eat healty and stop smoking. I start my basic in Sept but alot of people have said that you'll be less fit at the end of your basic, compared to when you started, so I guess its not exceptionally hard. And the fitness requirements for selection aren't that hard either. But have a look through the other threads on here and that will give you a good idea of the training to do.
  4. Cow

Cow LE

Don't over work yourself, if your currently fat 'n' lazy take it easy. You've got a year, stagger your goals. Find a sport you enjoy or a run route you like and crack on, get in some hills, they build stamina. Interval training on a track it good will help loads. Train with someone, massive boost of moral to see them hanging out as well as you!
  5. Each morning, go for a short run - couple of miles.
    When you get back, or on your way round, do 50 pushups (break it down into sets) 50 sit ups (break it down into sets) and about 12 pullups (break these down too).

It'll hurt, but it'll get you on the road to fitness. It is by no means "good fitness", but, and this will help with the pot-belly thing: "Eat Less Move More" is a great principle to follow.

Oh, and get rid of the "heavy smoker" bit, you'll need your lungs when you attend Selection and Training.
  6. As stated on here loads of times go into ACIO/AFCO and ask for a fitness brochure with a good fitness table in the back. Complete the training it says which will help people from your standard to those who are very fit and also shows you stretching and what youll do at selection. If you cant get into ACIO go onto and ask for a brochure.
    Dont do too much at once and progress slowly you have plenty of time. When you get nearer to wanting to go speak to your recruiter about going on Look at Life or pre selection. Good luck
  7. Thanks for all the advice, I'm currently in the process of quitting smoking but considering I've been smoking 10-15 a day since i was 13 its proving difficult but ill get there, as for doing 50 press ups every day, i cant even do 3. This must sound pathetic to anyone but i have rather weak arms, though i've wanted to be in the army since a young age and wont let this stop me getting fit.
  8. Cow

Cow LE

I am still crap at pressups after 9 years, don't worry too much. It comes with time and technique. Just do a few all the time, you'll soon build up your strength, after you can't do any more do some on your knees. Every little helps!
  9. Tell you what I do, and modify it according to your own strength - it's worked wonders and I adapted it myself after hearing something on arrse.

Every time the adverts come on TV (if you're a fat f'ker like you've suggested you are, you'll be watching it quite a bit), I do 50 press ups.

In an evening, say I watch 4 hours of TV or I am in the room when TV's on, that's 16 sets of 50 press ups - which is quite a lot in a day. Do that 4 days a week.

Run every morning, maybe have a Sunday off it. And wait til you get rid of the belly before trying sit ups.

Also get some proper running shoes, your weight will put strain on your knees when running, and since your body isn't used to the running that will add to the problem.
  10. I'm sorry but i'd have to say thats more of a workout for someone that is already fit :p

Just run when you can, start with some weights, proceed to press ups and so on. Biking is good, swimming is good, don't go too indepth or you'll find the Armies dark side one way of another and just try your best
  11. I was in a similar situation but a much shorter time scale (just posted in another thread more indepth) but biggest help I found was running with a friend also 2weeks without smokeing + alot of exercise and youll not belive how much air you can actually get in you (had 4years with an easy 20 a day, more if I was at the pub). Iv also found that once hitting a 'wall' as such, I could pretty well run forever(within reason). I found that on a 6km+ run on salisbury plain I can get too about 3km painfully, the next 0.5km is pure hell but after my friend almost litterally dragged me through that 0.5km ended jogging, talking a bit, got home and didnt seem tired at all just well exersized (granted that in the morning took about 15mins to get from the bedroom to the bathroom).

Iv not done any of these professional running clubs or get fit guides I just found getting out on the road/fields/footpaths the best method and usually after a good run well finish it with a best effort push ups/sit ups/heaves (with pushups in sets of 10 with 15seconds rest between a set and sets of 5 heaves with 20 seconds rest between). Also dont forget a good stretch before and after, for a long run Ill usually have a 30min warm up+stretch with 15min stretch at the end.

To be honest you have a long time though so just grab your shoes and go on a few long walks, when I started I couldnt jog for 400m but I found some really nice footpaths and just got walking (found it nice to get away for a bit anyway). Although it depends where you live, Im very lucky in that sence since I live in the countryside anyway.
  12. Thanks for all the advice, ill take it all to consideration
  13. That is really all it comes down to. The only equipment you need is a pair of (fitted) running shoes and a pull up bar. The rest is dedication and balls. Best of luck!

14. firstly, don't many weights, they are not helpful if done wrong.
    if you do, do compound exercises like squats, deadlifts etc.
    bodyweight exercises are also good. chins up (over & under hand) do muscles of the forarm, bicep, back and shoulders.. muscles work together in everyday life, so this builds more useable strength.

secondly, 3 miles @ 7 minute mile? you do realise this guy has probably done no proper exercise for a significant period of time. a speed like that needs to be worked up to.

run for time not distance is good advice.
    run/jog for 20 minutes.
    over time you will increase this distance you cover in 20mins, and eventually do longer sessions.

with regards to standards for selection being easy, it depends what you go for. paras is not easy, but a clerk is far less demanding.
    being less fit after training also depends on arm. if your going to be inf. of course you will be fitter, or they would just teach you how to fight and pass you out. it may be a different fitness though.

i would say you probably need to spend 3-6 months getting prepared.
    your resting heart rate is probably very high, so spend this time working towards a 3 mile jog (no time limit), and doing swimming, cycling and walking.

you need to get used to exercise, as if you start running 3 miles 4 times a week now, i would bet money on an injury significant enough to alter training methods within a month.

basicly, to run several times a week for a sustained period of time, certain things need to happen.
    firstly, your leg bones and feet will need to harden to deal with the impact of running. failure to let this happen properly is a major cause of injury for people starting to run.

secondly, your muscles gradually start to repair better. when you start running, you often feel like a plank of wood the day after a hard session, and can barely walk. more experienced runners can do a hard session, but still manage a moderate run the day after.

i would say run twice a week, and swim and cycle as often as possible too.

go too hard too soon and you will injure yourself.

also, consider taking up one of the following:
    climbing (indoor or outdoor).- incredibly good exercise. benefits upper body strength + stomach.

kickboxing - balance, agility, flexibility, reflexs. all of these are important. also very CV beneficial. kickboxing is much more demanding than boxing in terms of fitness.

moutaineering/hillwalking. - nothing gets you fit like walking up a fuckin great mountain with a big bag.

sports like football/rugby - great for fitnes, probably would struggle without a basic fitness level, but will build you up quickly. be aware of high injury rate though.
  15. Very good advice above, said what I was just about to but much clearer lol.