Advice

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Hollis's way, Feb 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi , I am due to leave the Army after 16yr and have no idea what job I will be suited for.

I am an infantry Plt sergeant, following quals are level2 numeracy and literacy , PTTLS level 4, A1 assessor, CLM, BIT AND DIT, I have trained recruits at the infantry training center catterick.

I am looking towards either a manager role, or health and safety role. but I have no idea how to go about this or where to start.

many thanks.

2. For Health and safety get yourself enrolled on a NEBOSH course. Run from most resettlement centres. One I did was great, thoroughly enjoyed it. There's the option to do the add-ons after too - fire safety etc. There's jobs out there. I literally walked out the army and straight into a job after only 2 applications and 1 interview. It's really not as daunting as some people make out. Use your local resettlement centre and your own advisor - you'll get one when you start the resettlement transition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would offer the following advice. Find something that interests you, as you will be doing this career for the next 20+ years. Research it well, attend resettlement seminars etc. I don't know if they still do them but there used to be days where you could go along to lectures and employment shows as part of your entitlement. I was very lucky and found a 2nd career and have done well but other guys haven't been so lucky.

Civi street is boring and mundane and civvies are a pain in the arse to work with. But choose the right career path and you will do well.

4. As others have advised, another is to get yourself on LinkedIn if you have'nt already done so for networking purposes.

5. Agree wholeheartedly with this. Also even if a job isn't your 'ideal' job, it's still a job which brings money in. You can still look for better employment whilst in employment.

6. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A friend of mine recently congratulated me on finding a new civvy career. I thanked him and politely informed him that this was my first job on leaving the Army after 25+ years and it was not a career but a stepping stone...to what I don't know but I aim to move around a bit in future. Another 20+ year career is not what I am after.

You have the option to put yourself on the market and providing you have the right quals, character and smarts, the world can be your oyster. However, most of the interviews I had over a six month period before finding a job was through mates or old bosses (now also civvies). Networking really does pay off, so work every contact/old boss/mates you have.

The reality is as mentioned above - civdiv can seem boring but then I have only been out for a short while so still transitioning mentally - it is a wrench though.

Get on CWT ASAP, make max use of resettlement - make sure you get your full entitlement, use ELCs, whenever you network always walk away with a new contact, attend employment fairs, get your CV reviewed by someone who understands civvy business.

Good luck.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Have a poke around on Reed on-line.

Jobs, Careers and Recruitment on the UK's #1 job site | reed.co.uk

That'll give you an idea of what sort of jobs are out there, what qualifications and experience are required and what the general level of pay is. There are some useful career related links on there, but steer clear of anything that wants payment. They're normally a rip off.

Trundle down to the local library and take out the books on writing CV's and interview skills. You'll need a good CV to get you the interview in the first place and the ability to sound confident at interview. This isn't a bad book to invest in...

Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions: Amazon.co.uk: Martin John Yate: Books

Remember to translate your military skills into something a mere civvie like myself can understand. "Strong people management skills from managing recruits from a wide variety of backgrounds; some disadvantaged" sounds better than "Brought successive training platoons to a high standard of discipline".

If you're close to coming out, try ringing up a local recruitment agency or two: tell them you're leaving the Army and could they spare you 1/2 hour to review your skill set against their vacancies. I suspect not a lot will come of it, but it'll give you a little bit of practice at interviews.

And above all take re-stilly's advice and think carefully about what you want to do. You'll need to stay in your first job for 2 - 3 years because employers like to see stability in CV's. And when you change jobs, you'll most likely get involved in something similar. So pick something you think you'll like - there's nothing worse than dragging yourself out of bed every morning to go into a job you hate.

Good luck,

Wordsmith

8. However, you will find that all that will mean the square root of **** all in civvy street. You could pay £85(?) for that C & G leadership certificate, Load of mince but it is something else to add to the mix.

9. Tanks so much for the advice, this transition is the hardest part ,I feel so institutionalised. I have come accross something on the web called Charted Management Institute, they claim to transfer all my militery course's and skills into civillian management quals, apparently they will also give me letters at the end of my name (ACMI), all this for joining there membership at around £100 plus other benefits. Has anyone heard anything about this membership and is it worth it.

Again cheers everyone.

10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

You bastard. I looked up the website and look who was on the front of the magazine. What a fcuking awful sight...

CB-1.jpg

Anyhow, there are a whole series of such institutes. I used to belong to the Institute of Materials.

Welcome | IOM3: The Global Network for Materials, Minerals & Mining Professionals

With any of these institutes, you join at the level appropriate to your current qualifications and are then mentored to achieve higher qualifications. The qualifications you study for are better than the bottom of the ladder qualification. To get to the senior qualifications might take 10 years of study and a demonstrable track record. But its a good thing to have on your CV.

(Larger companies will often pay for membership of professional institutions).

I'd see where ACMI comes in their hierarchy of qualifications - if it's bottom level, it's not worth a lot. I'd also check whether you can legally put ACMI on business cards, etc.

Wordsmith

11. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

How long ago was this? I know people with the NEBOSH Diploma who can't get jobs in the business these days so don't rely on it with just the NEBOSH Certificate (which is the course you are referring to). H&S is no longer an easy option for ex-military IMHO.