Advice

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sherpabear, Apr 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is probably the wrong forum but I hope someone can give me the answer....
    Does anyone know if a person can be medically discharged for being diagnosed with kerataconus? I am aware that it would be an entry rejection but unsure about discharge with only 5 years of service left. Any advice would be apreciated.

2. I'll save everyone else from looking it up.

Kerataconus

What is It?
    This is a distortion of the cornea – the cornea thins and becomes pointed and conical. The degree of ‘pointedness’ varies. In very severe cases the cornea becomes so elongated and thin that it ruptures.

What Is The Effect On Vision?
    Blurry vision that is not fully correctable with glasses or regular contact lenses. There is usually shadowing and a lack of crispness around objects.

What Is The Treatment?
    There is no effective treatment to prevent or cure Kerataconus. Some new surgical procedures are currently undergoing trials. The main therapy is to restore vision to as best possible using rigid gas permeable contact lenses to ‘mask’ the distortion.

Who Is At Risk?
    There is a genetic link. It is also more common in those who are ‘atopic’. These are people who also suffer from asthma, hayfever or eczema.

Further Information
    More information on Kerataconus is available by clicking these links:

http://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/Eyehealth/Othereyeconditions/Keratoconus
    http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/

So,I've learnt something today.Can't help the OP though.

3. This condition can be successfully treated with special "rigid" contact lenses.
    However i do not know what veiw the Military will take regarding retention in Army.
    Can you not discuss it in confidence with your M.O ?
    Good Luck mate.