Advice welcome from the leaders

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Beck, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Advice welcome from the leaders, which we call officers. I have no relevant experience but Im looking to do volunteer work. I would like to volunteer in a counselling environment. Is there anything within the Army that i could do to gain experience in counselling. If not is there anything in civy street, where i could volunteer remembering at the same time my commitment to the Army and if we are allowed to volunteer. Any constructive advice or suggestions would be welcome, Thanks Beck.
  2. Well, I could suggest being buttfcuked by a coy load of paras, that way you get some counseling experience from the patients point of view WAH!
  3. I'm not an officer, but I'm an ex-squaddie/aspiring Clinical Psychologist. There are plenty of areas that you could use to give you experience of working with people - some will even supplement your wages...

    Have you considered -

    Undergoing therapy yourself, it can really help when applying for courses because you can relate your own experience/have increased empathy.

    Becoming a part time ABA therapist (working with altistic children) - you'll also get paid about 8 pounds an hour.

    RMA (thats what I did and it's def. helped me get work on the outside as a HCA, which in turn is giving me more experience with vunerable people, e.g. dementia sufferers/ parkinsonians.

    One of the telephone listening services, such as childline, or sane.

    Speak to your local mental health crisis team (speak to the local GP surgery for the phone number) and ask if they have/know of any thing that you could assist with.

    Maybe your local college runs counselling courses, or you could use your SLC/ECL to attend a CBT course.

    You could also register with one of the local Nursing Agencies as a HCA (some will take you on with no experience), and work in care on your weekends off. Whilst also earning upto an extra 130 quid a week (thats what I make in two shifts) ontop of your wages.

    If in Germany, try to get an attachment to Wegberg during a leave period.

    Basically, most of the things I have listed are what I am doing whilst I am at uni to gain experience. Which, if you are that serious about a career in counselling, is another idea you should consider.

    Have you considered what type you want to get into, because some, like Psychoanalysis require you tooo undergo your own weekly (paid for by you) therapy (about 30-50 quid an hour).

    Hope this helps,


    not checked for spelling or grammar or readability!
  4. Go Padre.
  5. I think it unlikely that any organisation would let an untrained volunteer loose on patients/clients without any prior training. Amport House runs some very good courses that provide an introduction to listening skills and basic counselling, as well as others focussed on specific areas such as bereavement; your chaplain will have details. Otherwise, many local colleges offer courses in Counselling Skills. As well as practical work, some theory is introduced and you will have to keep a reflective journal. Organisations such as Relate and ChildLine provide their own training.

    There are some organisations that offer training over very short periods (such as weekend seminars), or by correspondence. In general, the 'qualifications' awarded are not recognised by any serious organisations and so they should be avoided.
  6. If you are talking about working as a nursing assistant, I beg to differ; the agency I work for do not offer any sort of training. And even some of the carers from Alied (a national agency) have said to me they do not really get any training. To be truthful, the standard of a lot of agency and even regular carers is quite worrying.

    As for wegberg, etc I mean she may be able to shadow somebody working in that field.

    If you want any interesting information on counselling from a clinical psychologist's perspective, try here...

    or here...

  7. Thank you everyone esp. amazing lobster, that was a great help. I will definitely try alot of your suggestions they seem worth while. You did ask the question of what kind of counselling i would like to work in, then it would have to be in the pain clinic area for soldiers or exsoldiers who suffer from long term injures, as we all know they sometimes progress into some mental disorders, distress, lack of confidence in their ability or anxiety. Thank you everyone for giving me a starting point while in the Army but one last request is there any particular short civy courses i could do in university at night time to build up a portfolio.
  8. Anyform of academic study would put you in good stead... I would recommend the Open University without hesitation.

    Also, have you considered transferring to the QA's as a CPN? Although I think they only offer training in CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)... which some Psychologists would argue is slightly futile, because like medicine, not all forms of therapy work for everyone.

    Also, if you want to work in a clinical setting, then I would recommend some kind of nursing assistant experience, so consider the health care assistant route. And you'll get paid!
  9. If you want to do somethign to help the service community then offer your services to the Royal British legion and SAAFA. Both organisations rely on volunteers as fund raisers and case workers. SAAFA is the poor relation of the two,. but both do a lot and will test your counselling skills.