Advice Website

Cambs84

Swinger
As many of you are aware there are a huge amount of military charities in the UK, some estimate put it at over 3,000. This can make it very difficult for people to know which one to turn to for their need.

I am looking to create a website that lists most of them and their services, so people can find out what they all have to offer in one place, and can compare between them.

What do you think would be a good name for such a site?

But not all Service charities are COBSEO members. You also can't search their list for example for organisations that help with housing, or PTSD support.
No, but everybody knows that RBL and SSAFA are the go-to guys. They should know where to go from there.

Cambs84

Swinger
No, but everybody knows that RBL and SSAFA are the go-to guys. They should know where to go from there.
Well perhaps they should, but they don't. It is impossible for either volunteers or paid staff to keep track of all of these organisations all of the time. Even if they could, they wouldn't actually have first hand knowledge of the way each one worked, or the value of the course/treatment etc.

Say someone has PTSD, should they approach Combat Stress, PTSD Resolution, talking 2 minds, PTSD Action, Save Our Soldier or a host of other organisations? My plan is to have service users leave a review of the service, so then people will get an insight as to how valuable it is from someone who has been through it.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think you've got the germ of a good idea but it needs some more thought.

Why not approach COBSEO and suggest that you help them to upgrade their website in order for it to have the kind of functionality that your talking about.

Well perhaps they should, but they don't. It is impossible for either volunteers or paid staff to keep track of all of these organisations all of the time. Even if they could, they wouldn't actually have first hand knowledge of the way each one worked, or the value of the course/treatment etc.

Say someone has PTSD, should they approach Combat Stress, PTSD Resolution, talking 2 minds, PTSD Action, Save Our Soldier or a host of other organisations? My plan is to have service users leave a review of the service, so then people will get an insight as to how valuable it is from someone who has been through it.
If you go to any valid service charity they will signpost where to go for the the best help, they won't just fob you off.

As an IA drill SSAFA is the way ahead.

Cambs84

Swinger
I think you've got the germ of a good idea but it needs some more thought.

Why not approach COBSEO and suggest that you help them to upgrade their website in order for it to have the kind of functionality that your talking about.
Thanks, but to be honest I can't imagine that COBSEO would want to upset their members, and Im not sure how happy the charities will be able having reviews of their services, good and bad, available to the public.

As I said I also want to include non-COBSEO members, and additional features beyond just the directory.

Make sure you get good legal advice. There are a lot of dodgy service charities out there.

oldbaldy

LE
And make sure you are covered for dodgy 'reviews', reviews can be manipulated as we know from the problems sites like Tripadvisor have had.

Or servicecharity.info, militarycharities.info

Use of .com indicates that it is a commercial entity rather than a information website (see link below). That said ever bugger seems to use .com for whatever.

Understanding Domain Extensions

It doesn't make any real difference but .com is always best because the hard of thinking find it easier to renember than ..gov.uk/info.jp/whatever. Same as people who invent stupid names for their business that you cant remember easily. Keep it simple, stupid. Especially on line where detail is everything.

Latest Threads