Advice to anyone who suffers from shin splints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Spenny, Jul 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Advice for anyone who suffers from shin splints!!

There seems to have been a lot of threads on shin splints recently and I know I have contributed to a couple of them. Until recently I had suffered from severe shin pain post exercise and ended up only being able to run only once or twice a week, then having to rest to ease the pain before running again. Ive tried physiotherapy/massage, orthotics, brufen, motion control running shoes, running on softer surfaces, shin splint prevention/strengthening exercise - every fckn method known to mankind!! In the end however, all it took was a change in the type of running shoes I use and I am 100% percent cured!! Let me explain……………

I visited a reputable running store, where they checked my footstrike, running gait and asked about my type of running and mileage. I am fairly flat footed and over-pronate too, so with this in mind I was advised to buy a pair of Saucony Grid Omni running shoes - I checked the online reviews and found them to be a popular choice amongst moderate overpronators who run middle - long distance. The inside of each shoe has a greyed out area from the heel to the ball of the foot and this area is rigid (instead of the normal cushioned sole) to correct your foot alignment when running. I believe that it is this rigid area, which caused the pain after running for me.

After listening to lots of advice and trying everything I could to cure the pain, I finally opted to buy another pair new running shoes (gutted considering the Saucony were brand new and cost nearly £100!!!). I decided to go for Asics 1120 Gel running shoes, which like the Saucony, are designed for moderate over-pronators. They are very similar runniung shoes and the Asics also have the greyed out area at the side of the shoe, however this bar id half the length which means that the heel area in particular is all gel cushioning - I believe its this which has made all the difference for me!!

To top it all off, I have now added a pair of sorbothane insoles and its not only completely cured the pain but has also improved my performance. Basically the point is its not always expensive orthotics, worn out running shoes, overtraining etc etc that can cause this condition - sometimes it can just be the wrong make of shoe for your body. So if your buying new running shoes or your currently suffering from shin splints, take this into consideration and see if it makes a difference.

Its worth noting that Im not in any way having a dig at Saucony, who make great running shoes - they obviously just don’t work very well with my body and my running style.
  2. Thanks for this post
  3. Yea, I found proper running shoes helped my knee.
  4. thanks spenny - good advice.

a lot of people begrudge spending the money on a decent pair of shoes but it is always worth the money - even if you don't have problems it will help prevent wear & tear and problems in the future. You wouldn't believe how much research goes into making running trainers I was gobsmacked.

Worth noting that your average running shoe lasts about 500 miles (less if you have problems) most serious runners have at least 2 pairs and alternate between runs, apparently to do with giving the EVA (the grey bit) time to recover (?) so you can still make use of the saucony.

I have similar problems and have ended up with the mizzuno X10 (with orthotics!) excellent if you are a big pronator but hard on your feet at first, the mid foot is hard plastic. liked the asics too but wore them out really quickly.
  5. Saucony did it for me, although I didn't have shin splints, just suffered because of flat feet.
  6. Personally, I've found that not running on concrete or stone helps alot towards avoiding shinsplints. It took me about 7-8 weeks of rest before the pain went away - I now stick to running in parks on tarmac.

Remember that councils have a habit of simply tarmacing over cobblestones/old stone slabs. So running on a tarmaced pavement might not be the best idea.
  7. Thats some really helpful advice, ive been having shin splints lately and ive tried the steches and resting and it just comes back, so ive now just gone and got some running shoes that should prevent this now (had my running gait checked for a suitable shoe). Just wondering are you training in the army or applying? Because eventually wont you have to do lots of running in boots which could bring shin splints back? This is what i'm worried about as i'm applying to go into the parachute regiment and i dont wanna get shin splints in training?
  8. To combat this, I put SOLE ULTRA heat mouldable insoles in my boots (you will need a 1/2 size bigger boot to fit them). You pop these insoles in the oven, then take them out and put them straight into your boots and put them on. The result is a custom fit semi-orthotic insole, that gives good cushioning and arch support.

I also do a lot of running in boots/tabbing with a bergan, so from personal experience they did help prevent me getting shin splints. Just make sure you gradually increase your training bit by bit, dont overdo it to start with and listen to your body. If you dont then no amount of physio, gucci kit or forum advice will stop you piling in with injury.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail!
  9. I found that the only thing that worked for me was to run with, one flip flop on my left foot and a barlinne break out plimsole on the right.
  10. You must be from A Coy? Only an A Coy bloke is nails enough to tab it out in a flip flop/plimsole combo!! :eek:)