Advice sought - Money Programmes

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by in_the_cheapseats, Aug 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm looking for advice on what to use as a programme that I can plan and combine my finances on to, on my computer.

I had a look at MS Money but that appears to be designed for the US market only and will no doubt be filled with US tax dodges, rules and advice and will only use the $ sign.

Does anyone use anything different that they would recommend?

2. msr

msr LE

What exactly are you trying to do?

Excel will probably do the trick.

3. in_the_cheapseats

Yes I know but I can't be bothered taking the time to set up all the sheets I'll need and I'd like to have some of the programmed tools that Money has. I'll happily send £40 to save me the work if I can find an appropriate tool (MS Money Plus comes in at $40)
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've used MS Money in the past, I just ignore the tax rules etc, as even if they are UK they are out of date on my version.

I find it pretty good, especially as you can download your bank statements directly into it. It has some negatives, sometimes double counts stuff, but you can spot this pretty easily.

You've just reminded me that i haven't kept up to date on mine for ages now.

5. in_the_cheapseats

So worth using?
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I think so. I've tried Excel and to get the basics sorted took more time than learning to use MS Money.

I'm not saying it doesn't have issues, mainly human driven, but if you just want the basics then it doesn't take long to work out and get using.