Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice regarding Soldier to Officer transition? (My backstory included)

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on ARRSE after lurking the board. I have a few questions for anybody who has any knowledge or experience to answer them for me.

I am 23 years old and currently studying at the University of Sheffield doing a Foundation Year which will progress on to a History and Philosophy BA. Joining the army is something I have always wanted to do since I was young, particularly at an officer rank. Sadly I made some poor choices as teenager which caused me to underachieve in my GCSE's and not be able to pursue A levels; I take full responsibility for these bad decisions. As it stands, I only have about 3 GCSE's graded at C, Mathematics is not included in these and also my Science was a BTEC graded at a PASS (equivalent to C). Fortunately, I got scouted for a job in Finance and worked in the Financial sales sector until I was 21- although it paid well I felt it was rather banal and lacked adventure, but because of bad grades and a lack of prospects thereof I decided to give university a shot. I am currently signed up for the UOTC and will do a medical for it in January (I do have some experience similar as I was in the Army Cadets as well).

This whole pandemic has really made me question what I want in life and I still want to serve in the Armed Forces, and lately I have been thinking of finishing my Foundation Year and then applying. While looking through the Army Mod site, I found that you can join the army and be recommended or apply for an enlistment into Sandhurst. Here are some questions that I have:

Will the Army let me study GCSE's and A Levels in my spare time in order to reach the necessary qualifications?

Should I request a commission only after a promotion? (I don't think it would be a appropriate to request it after passing all training, am I wrong?)

How possible is it to move up the ranks in this manner?

Should I finish University and then apply, even though I lack the GCSE's? (I will also be 27 when I graduate)

Thank you for reading through this, I really appreciate it and look forward to any advice given!

Ask all of this to the UOTC once you are in it.

Does your foundation year lead into a degree? If so that degree pass should mean you are academically qualified to apply for AOSB without the A Levels

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Ask all of this to the UOTC once you are in it.

Does your foundation year lead into a degree? If so that degree pass should mean you are academically qualified to apply for AOSB without the A Levels

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply, I will definitely ask the UOTC once I join.

My foundation year does lead into a degree, sadly it does not permit any UCAS points. I hope this automatically qualifies me and I shall definitely ask.

All the best!

If you are at Sheffield Uni and have applied to the OTC please drop me a PM, your medical in Jan seems a little off.

Latest Threads