Advice/Question

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Lewis07, Oct 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Once again we get back to the Tax/Ban issues:?

I was in BFG in 2005 and brought a tax free car when i was single. I got a posting out of BFG, not my choice, but got told i had to take a quick posting. On return to the UK i could no longer afford the car, and the fuel, (tight i know!) and i also had a house to pay for, so i sold the car within my 12months, i think is was around my 9 month point.

I got a letter of customs while i was serving in the UK, about a year later saying i had to send the BFG plates back, which i never got told about. I told them i had sold the car, registered in the uk etc and i had the plates in my garage and would send them over.

I also got a tax bill through, around 2k i think and could not believe i was getting this. I wrote a letter back saying that i did not ask to get posted back to the UK and i was close to missing payments on my house, my troop commander wrote this letter for me. After this letter was sent by myself i heard nothing back from customs and think i might be ok.

When i got posted back to Germany, 5 years later (now) and went to register our family car they brought up the number plate issue from 5 years ago saying they never received them. I told them they got sent and might of got lost, then they made me pay 17 euros for the plates, which i did not mind paying as they got lost on route. They then said that car had been shut down now with bfg.

I want to buy a BMW on the ballon deal but worried this is going to bite me in the ass and when i fill the paperwork out with my name and number they will sting me with the tax, but i have registered two cars here now, bfg'd with no problems.

Is it worth taking the risk, or just leave it and stick to the old car i have????

many thanks