Advice: Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by msr, Jul 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonable pocket watch (for wearing with Mess Dress?

I know there are stacks on ebay, but I am not really sure what I am looking for...

msr

2. Theres plenty of good ones out there in high street jewellers and not bad price normally between £30 -£100 depending on what you want. The main things to consider are the chain being the right length and looking good as its the main thing everyone sees. As well i prefer having an open face one (no cover) with quite large dial you dont have to try and mess about opening it or trying to look at the dial when your totally bladdered and have port eye. :wink:

3. perhaps one with your regements badge on it.

4. seeing your still in cadets are you old enough to drink or even know what a pocket watch is :?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

5. i believe it is a watch on a chain, as opposed to a wrist watch.

just as i am a cadet does not mean i'm stupid, and the legal age to consume booz is 7years of age

6. Slagging match on sensible question within 4 posts...

Is this a record?

7. no, just dont like people trying to insinuate that i am stupid for no reason, of course i could have got the wrong end of the stick, and it could have been a light hearted or reasonable question.

8. Have a hunt for a pre WWII issue pocket watch. Used to be a place in Salisbury that sold them. Bit more pricy but more interesting, nice chunk of 1920's watch with Ministry of War markings......and sometimes with extra engraving added.....

9. ^ Like that Idea, a bit of provenance behind it, personally I have a Half hunter, but need somthing special for the fob on the other end.

10. I would suggest keeping an eye out for an ORIS gold pocket watch with a fob to wear it in the top pocket of your suit. These have some of the best mechanical movements and are very accurate.

I picked a couple of these up at house clearence sales in Edinburgh for about £10 each. All they need is a decent pocket chain and the are great looking.

11. Go for vintage, not new.

Most decent size cities will have a proper watchmaker/repair guy who will have a stock and will have serviced the item.

12. Does anyone have any hints for somewhere to get an interesting fob for the other end of the chain? Mine has broken.

And if you're in London, there is a very good place to fix pocket watches on Armoury Row, just off Victoria Street

13. As regards fobs, I'd suggest having a hunt around on eBay (no, really) or in antique jewellers shops.

I'll bear that place on Armoury Row in mind.

14. Thinking more on the Fob side of things, maybe a 'Baldricks Bullet'? must investigate it so OH can buy as a pressie....

15. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

You could try an old sweetheart brooch as a fob depending on which cap badge you are. Fleabay the best place find one.