Advice Please..

rooster_teeth

War Hero
My little ginger ninja of an Office Manager (a very loose job title as 3 or 4 days a week its usually just him in this pokey broom cupboard of an office), the lad is however a star who juggles everything from accounts, banking, compliance for new starters and new sites/venues, weekly rotas, pay and invoice chasing to canvassing/sales, marketing and managing our new, tentative baby steps into using social media, in short he is the bollocks so, accordingly is well looked after.

Anyhow, he moved back up here from Crawley in 2012 after splitting up with his then girlfriend, as I understand it the split was all amicable and he moved up here to stay with family whilst sorting his head out, he had worked for G4S previously in a decent dick swinging role and, suitably impressed I gave him the job at the end of having a coffee with him, (funnily enough the day before I interviewed one of these now very famous walts that are all over the internet in Castleford for this veryrole), so anyway he came to work for me the next day in darkest Beeston, with our damp walls and the constant hum of a dehumidifier, one window facing a neighbouring brick wall and no room to swing the proverbial cat in but he has a branded and nippy new Fiesta to run about with and I do get the Subways in on Thursday/Fridays :)

The ex girlfriend was the only one named on the mortgage as he had a bad credit rating, so, with a loan for a deposit, again in her name only, they moved in to a place and for many months he paid in our around 600 a month for the mortgage, all the bills and his share of the loan. This can be proven with bank statements showing transfers monthly from him to her.

This all started with a bit of chat about us getting ready to sell our home in a couple of months and I showed him the website Zoopla that I am using to look at potential properties for us, if you dont know it it's a site that gives you a rough idea of individual property prices and increases, rent yields, trends in local areas ect, its not exact in content but it does provide a good idea of general prices. So, he jumped on it, punched in his old address and the little pad they had is now valued at around 15k more than when they moved in. Now, Im not a cnut but he was obviously annoyed so I have sort of pushed him into at least considering investigating whether his near 2 years of contribution to this property can be honoured in any way? I fear probably not but you never know and it doesnt hurt to ask.

Denizen's of ARRSE, has anyone come across this sort of thing, or have experienced it directly or who can give a bit of direction?

Last edited:
I suspect it isn't going to be a pleasant experience for your chum, but I'd point him in the direction of a good Solicitor.

The ex girlfriend was the only one named on the mortgage as he had a bad credit rating, so, with a loan for a deposit, again in her name only, they moved in to a place and for 21 months he paid in our around 600 a month for the mortgage, all the bills and his share of the loan. This can be proven with bank statements showing transfers monthly from him to her.
It's possible that all this will prove is that he gave her a regular 'gift' of some money, without proving that he contributed in any way to the mortgage payments, but as I say - get proper legal advice.

for the amount he may gain I suspect the legal fees and the sheer frustration may mean its not worth persuing. might be worth a cheeky request to the ex "to buy him out"

It's her house legally, he has no claim.

They are not married, no claim in that route.

Weigh it up - the house is worth 15k more as an estimate. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. Would he be rushing to give her 7.5k if it was 15k less?

He's a good lad, he probably would :) But, I think thats as cut and dry as it gets so cheers.

Yeah, he's on a highway to nowhere mucker.

Buy him a box of greasy chicken tomorrow.

doesn't necessarily need a solicitor - go see a bank person who does mortgages. If he can establish that he has a financial interest in the property (which it sounds like it does, having stumped up 12 grand) then he might have something to work from and most of the in-bank mortgage people are quite good on this sort of thing - they see refinancing of mortgages after splits quite often so tend to have a good idea of what's possible, and as a starting point, should cost him nowt. After that, then he might want to engage Sue, Grabbit and Runne for a formal legal opinion - again, most solicitors will do an initial free consultation - but better to go armed with paperwork and an argument than waste most of the hour answering tedious questions from the learned one.

And still buy him the box of chicken - he sounds like a decent sort :)

If he wants a share of the profits is there not a risk that he will, as a consequence, have a share of any liabilities? If a few grand was spent on doing the place up to sell fir example.

If he wants a share of the profits is there not a risk that he will, as a consequence, have a share of any liabilities? If a few grand was spent on doing the place up to sell fir example.

very good point - well worth mentioning if he does seek advice - maybe a gentle chat with the ex first to establish as many facts as possible (preferably without arousing any suspicion) before making a decision?

B42T

LE
^_^
There's a Chicken Cottage round the corner, best food chain ever, I implore anyone up this way to have some big eats in there, its ace, a full chicken fresh off the grill and blasted in hot sauce and a pile of chips dusted with paprika for less than a tenner.

It's Beeston, most "visitors" to that area will require a Chally 2 to ensure safe passage ^_^

Even then the tracks might go missing if you so much as stop for 3 secs.

My little ginger ninja of an Office Manager (a very loose job title as 3 or 4 days a week its usually just him in this pokey broom cupboard of an office), the lad is however a star who juggles everything from accounts, banking, compliance for new starters and new sites/venues, weekly rotas, pay and invoice chasing to canvassing/sales, marketing and managing our new, tentative baby steps into using social media, in short he is the bollocks so, accordingly is well looked after.

Anyhow, he moved back up here from Crawley in 2012 after splitting up with his then girlfriend, as I understand it the split was all amicable and he moved up here to stay with family whilst sorting his head out, he had worked for G4S previously in a decent dick swinging role and, suitably impressed I gave him the job at the end of having a coffee with him, (funnily enough the day before I interviewed one of these now very famous walts that are all over the internet in Castleford for this veryrole), so anyway he came to work for me the next day in darkest Beeston, with our damp walls and the constant hum of a dehumidifier, one window facing a neighbouring brick wall and no room to swing the proverbial cat in but he has a branded and nippy new Fiesta to run about with and I do get the Subways in on Thursday/Fridays :)

The ex girlfriend was the only one named on the mortgage as he had a bad credit rating, so, with a loan for a deposit, again in her name only, they moved in to a place and for many months he paid in our around 600 a month for the mortgage, all the bills and his share of the loan. This can be proven with bank statements showing transfers monthly from him to her.

This all started with a bit of chat about us getting ready to sell our home in a couple of months and I showed him the website Zoopla that I am using to look at potential properties for us, if you dont know it it's a site that gives you a rough idea of individual property prices and increases, rent yields, trends in local areas ect, its not exact in content but it does provide a good idea of general prices. So, he jumped on it, punched in his old address and the little pad they had is now valued at around 15k more than when they moved in. Now, Im not a cnut but he was obviously annoyed so I have sort of pushed him into at least considering investigating whether his near 2 years of contribution to this property can be honoured in any way? I fear probably not but you never know and it doesnt hurt to ask.

Denizen's of ARRSE, has anyone come across this sort of thing, or have experienced it directly or who can give a bit of direction?

Your mate's on a hiding to nothing. What's on the papers is the be all and end all.

If there's no mortgage, no marriage and no agreement then forget it.

This reminds me of something that happened to a mate of mine. He went out with some skipper for years. It was a pretty wild relationship with her moving in and out of his house several times a year. She split her time between his house and her dad's and treated them both much the same. That is to say, she might have parted with a few quid here and there but never took on any responsibility.

Eventually, he got pissed off and gave her an ultimatum. It's been 9 years, so they either called it a day or stopped fcukign about and started doing things properly.

So she moved back in and they worked out a budget and bought an engagement ring and he put her on the mortgage.

I don't think they even got one payment into the big plan before he came home one day and she wasn't there. gone to Birmingham with her new boyfriend who must've been waiting in the wings. And guess what? Solicitor's letter arrived a few days later, wanting half the equity - which was considerable.

He got a free consultation with a local barrister through his old man and the Masonic Lodge - who told him fighting it was only going to run his bill up.

'Sir, it is indeed unfair. But you are in a barrister's office to discuss the law and not what's fair'

And that was that.

Charles_1

Old-Salt
If he paid towards the deposit and the mortgage, then he does have a share in the property, absent any agreement with her to the contrary, or evidence that he was paying the money over as a gift.

Its called a resulting trust - a trust 'results' form his payment towards the purchase price, and although she is the legal owner, she holds it on trust for the two of them.

However, his share might be quite small, when worked out as a proportion of his contribution, and not worth the hassle of a claim. He won't benefit from her mortgage payments since he left.

Latest Threads