Advice please...

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Mattym17, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Originally My 1st job choice was EW sys ops in the Sigs, but my recruiter told me there were no intake dates at the time and so asked me if I was interested in any jobs in the RA. So I decided to change to Gunner artillery command systems and was given a phase 1 start date for Feb 2011.

But now after looking at the army jobs FB page, there are now jobs available for EW sys ops, and now i'm undecided on whether to stick or twist. I've looked at the thread in the Sigs forum, and the consensus is, it is a boring job in which you do very little, but the promotion aspects are very good etc.

Whereas in the RA, from what I can gather, you can choose what you would like to do after phase 1/2, i.e. become a gunner, observer, uav and so on, but the reality is, they will decide where you are needed most, and so will end up doing little of what you wanted to do in the first place.

EW sys ops maybe boring, but i'd still be happy to do something like that. A job in the RA looks interesting, but if I am going to be doing very little of what I want to go in to do i.e. becoming a gunner, this would appeal to me less.

So can anyone give me any advice/tips on what I should do?

Cheers.

2. The solution is simple: Pick the job you want most, and wait.
    If youre not sure about the job, you probably don't want it enough... And unless when you arrive you bloody love it, you're going to struggle to stick with it.

A few of my mates have taken jobs that get them in for a sooner intake, then quit after 4 weeks in P1, because they didn't want it enough.

3. Ok thanks, I'm perfectly happy with either, I decided to give the recruiter a ring and he told me there are no vacancies for adult entry, and then the guy who runs the army jobs FB page said "all employments for EW SYS OP have now been allocated, we have no adult entry vacancies available until our new training year (April 2011 to April 2012). (RPS)"

So looks like my mind has been made up for me. :)

4. Absolute rubbish. I would say the biggest drawback with EW is lack of overseas postings (but lots of overseas tours!) but none of them have ever said to me it is boring!

Stick with what you want to do, not what will get you in fastest.

5. Yep, waiting doesn't bother me as such as I have things to do to fill my time at present, I've got my phase 1 date anyway and so I think i'm going to stick with that and besides, I was/am totally committed to following either the Sigs or RA career path.

If a mod wants to delete this thread now, feel free. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.