Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on which route to take to Regular Commission

Good afternoon all!

The end goal is to join as a Regular Officer but the advised route to get there is different to what I thought it would be.

I've been advised to join the reserves as a Potential Officer, complete my Phase 1 training, learn some basic soldiering while attending what is essentially "AOSB training" conducted by the reserve unit before attempting AOSB. I've been informed that a pass at main board is the same for Reserves and Regulars and that I could use the pass to get on a regular commissioning course intake at RMAS.

I always thought applying as a Regular Officer would be the most direct way to get onto a CC. However I do see the benefit of having some training/advice before attempting AOSB.

Any thoughts/advice on the route I have been advised to take will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

What is your start date?
Age?
Military Experience?
Education level?
Fitness?
Hobbies/interests?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

What is your start date?
Age?
Military Experience?
Education level?
Fitness?
Hobbies/interests?

Start Date: Assesment at Glencorse middle of Jan.
Military Experience: Both parents served, dad's still in now. Brother is also currently serving. A year of OTC.
Education Level: Undergrad Degree
Fitness: Getting back into it properly as want to be above average but fit enough to reach the entry standards.
Hobbies/interests: Rugby, Hiking/Camping, Reading, Motorbikes.

If I were you I'd be tempted to put an Army Officer application in.

Get AOSB Briefing done and see what they say - it might be to go straight to Main Board, or it might be to delay 2 years before you can go to Main Board.

If you want to be a Regular Officer, go to the Careers Office and apply.

AOSB don't look at how well coached to pass an applicant is - they look for potential. A Reserve Unit will have no interest in coaching you to pass Main Board - they will be interested in turning you into a Phase 1 trained Reservist. Reserve Phase 1 will not really help you at AOSB at all. Why would they spend their time coaching you to pass something that will mean they lose a Recruit?

A Reserve Unit will have no interest in coaching you to pass Main Board - they will be interested in turning you into a Phase 1 trained Reservist. Reserve Phase 1 will not really help you at AOSB at all. Why would they spend their time coaching you to pass something that will mean they lose a Recruit?
Yes and no. We’ve sent a fair few (successfully) to RCB over the last few years. One Army and all that.

You can have a dual application running.

The key advantages of going reserve then RMAS regular are:

1) pay. As a trained soldier you will be paid more at RMAS than an OCdt

2) basic skills. The earlier part of the course (weapon handling etc.) Will be easier as you have done it and therefore you will be able to focus more on the new stuff.

3) UOTC access - if you speak to the PSAO and PSI teams at the reserve unit you may be able to join the UOTC for leadership development training prior to AOSB. This can help develop potential looked for at AOSB to a point it is easier to see and turn a maybe pass to a definate pass.

4)Pay. Get paid while attending AOSB.

Think that's about it!

Latest Threads