Advice on where to go from here (illness/bar to reserves).

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by scottishcammy, Dec 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I realise that's a rather obtuse subject heading!

Until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the last stages of getting into the reserves (RAF gunner).
    I had fancied the infantry, but my brother is a LE Capt. (though has just been approved by the board first time around to Maj....well done bro' &, apologies for the shameless family pride!) in the RRS and I wanted something unconnected.

I'm rambling now, so to the point: The last few weeks have been a real whirlwind, the end result of which is that I have now been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.
    To say I wasn't expecting this is an understatement.
    From what my brother says, my chances of getting into the reserves are now screwed. I'm well pissed off about this and would appreciate any advice from someone in the know. If this is the case, are there any other avenues I could follow?

I will, of course, be getting in touch with the squadron, but in the interim, and advice/knowledge is appreciated.

2. msr

msr LE

You might like to appy to the cadets as an Offr / AI.

msr

3. What Sqd where thinking of Joining? I may be able to get a bit more Gen for you.

4. Scottish i suggest first of all you could ring the raf careers line. Dont explain that you are already in the system just explain about your medical situation and see what they say. call our careers advice line on 0845 605 5555, between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., 7 days a week and take it form there

good luck

5. When you say last stages, does that mean you've already past your medical?

If so, don't tell them.

6. Whatever you do don't tell them, just get it quietly treated by your own doctor. If they do find out and bin you the cadets are always looking for officers/nco's.

7. Thanks for the replies lads. Was just waiting for my medical. I'm not sure about lying about anything, I think it would bother my conscience. Having said that :) if I had already been accepted/sworn in, and then found to have this, would I get binned?
    On the 'forgetting to mention anything' front, do they not get hold of my medical records anyway?

The bugger is, I just the kind of bloke they need (not blowing my own trumpet here) but I know I could do the job well.
    From what I've seen, the majority of folk cope with this very well indeed. In fact, Sir Steve Redgrave was diagnosed and went on to win lots of gold.
    Ach, what a fekin pisser!!!

8. msr

msr LE

It can't be treated: http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=381&sectionId=11

Yes

msr

9. According to my consultant it can be treated very well indeed, with many people enjoying years of remission, either wholly or in part to the anti-inflammatory drug, mesalamine, when taken orally.

I take it you mean 'cured'? If so, you are correct, the only cure is surgery.

10. msr

msr LE

Yes, apologies, I meant cured.

msr

11. No worries bud :wink:

12. msr

msr LE

Have you thought about the Cadets? I am sure they would rip your arm off.

msr

13. I must admit I hadn't. I suppose I'm still really pissed of at the thought of not getting what I wanted so much.
    At the moment it feels like a poor second. I realise that's probably very unfair, but I'm still in full on FECK mode!

I've no idea what they get up to, what sort of training do you get for the role?
    Thanks by the way.

14. msr

msr LE

15. SC, I recently had a conversation with a young woman over here in Canada about her being turned down for the Reserves because of a medical condition. She desperately wants to serve her country and felt the only way was in the CF.

I pointed out to her that there are many ways to serves ones country and not all of it is in uniform. I pointed her in the direction of a few organizations within the CF that are in a supportive role to the front line troopies. She appiled to one and has now been offered a position which she leaves for Afghanistan any day. She's done the training, and is looking forward to it. She'll be on a 6 month rotation.

Don't give up the idea of serving your country, look for and apply for positions in the numerous orgs that support military operations at home and abroad.

Look for multinational organizations for civilian employment as well. The MFO comes to mind for one. Don't limit yourself to what you narrowly perceive to be service to ones country to just the TA. Think bigger.