advice on new car

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by JerseyTom, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking about buying a 1989 VW Golf 1.8 GTI convertible. 70,000 miles.

Anyone got experience of these, reliability, etc.

It's a mate who's selling it and he's looked after it.

Taking it see a friend of mine in REME tomorrow night.

Any experience, tips, advice, etc would be massively appreciated.

Cheers chaps

2. I know one is only supposed to take these cars out when it is warm and dry...

...but 70,000 miles in only 20 years?

Someone is having you on...

Most Golfs and the GTI are bomb-proof as long as they are used. This one hasn't been used!

Litotes

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Thats about 140 more moving parts than on the normal VW.

Get your REME mate to run his finger deep into the rubber seals and take a good look at the moving parts of the roof. If the last owner hasnt had the roof down much, it can be a problem if you do.

And check the half shafts are not set on "Invade Russia". That can be a problem too.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why? I have a G reg Merc 190 with only 90K on the clock (admittedly it was originally bought in Jersey and it's not exactly blessed with motorways)

5. One major item ROOF

Has it been changed? If not it may well need a new one, cost's a bit as well. If it has a new roof, how long ago? If its never seen the rain or gone out much then the seals go hard.

6. There is a considerable difference between the Golf and the Merc in terms of build and design; the Merc is much better, so I wouldn't expect many problems (has the oil been changed every 6 months, for example?). But the principle is the same; a car that is only used to drive a couple of thousand miles a year is generally going to be more expensive and less reliable than one that travels tens of thousands.

Litotes

7. Maybe the mileage is higher than you think, has it gone round the clock? it could well be 170k, which would still be low but more respectable.

8. Thanks for all the replies. roof is used and is in working order.

took it for a test drive last night. gear box felt a bit flimsy so i'm not going to bother.

moving to the the 'mainland' in 3 weeks, so i'm going to give my my current golf a service and take that with me.

mr fingerz...i hope you kept your jersey number plate...can get away with not paying and displaying and not paying road tax.

9. Mr_Fingerz

No you can't. The Vehicle Importation Unit at Dover keep an eye on such things. And Mr Plod takes a very dim view of such matters, he will "stick you on" at the first opportunity if he finds you.

10. But if I keep my residential address in Jersey and bring the car back once in a while, I think I might be ok?

11. Mr_Fingerz

Ring the HMRC National Advice Service (they're in the book) and ask about the rules for Temporarily Imported (TI) Cars. ISTR that the rules are Import VAT becomes due after a period of time IIRC 6 months, or if you, or the vehicle, leaves; before the due date.

12. Don't make me laugh...

The Lithuanian and Polish registered cars on my estate have been driving around here for nigh on 2 years now; no sign of any corrective action at all!

Litotes