Advice on Married Unaccompanied

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Scottish_Gaz, Jul 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. At the present time i live in a married quarter with my wife and child. My wife has been trying to get a job while try get my 18 month into play school which we are struggling with due to private reasons. In sad to say that she isnt entirely happy at were we are at the moment and there is times were our marriage is on thin ice which breaks my heart. She has family approx 100 miles away were she has made it clear that she would be happier having a house back there were she will be around her family and friends. Im away alot on regular basis and work long days sometimes. I want her to be happy and keep my marriage so i agreed to look into the possibility of letting her go back there and get a house (rent). The thing is, im on a very low income and we just manage as it is as i havent been in the army long. Basically what benefits/allowances would i be entitled to if i went back into a single man room, gave our quarter up and stayed at my unit married unaccompanied?

    This is the last thing i would have wanted but she would be an 1 - 2 hours drive away so not too long to travel. Also im a tank tptr so i postings dont come my way very regularly so a posting further away isnt something im bothered about at the time being.

    Any help would be appreciated as i have a friend that gets an allowance for being unaccompanied and i think he gets some sort of allowance to help towards his fuel on driving home?

    Please help as i have told my wife i will put alot of thought into this in the hope that i we could be atleast a bit better off.

    Atm i only bring home £900 each month after my quarter bills come off and that supports 3 of us while im wife only brings home £70 per week.

    Im paying off some debts from before i joined the army so that doesnt help.

    Any help would be appreciated
  2. daywalker

    daywalker LE Reviewer

    You would be entitled to get you home pay but that's about it I think.
  3. wouldnt i be entitled to married unaccompanied allowance or whatever its called?
  4. Do you currently receive tax credit? You should be eligible for a claim, for a household income of circa.15k a year you'd get about an additional 3k a year on top of your earnings
  5. daywalker

    daywalker LE Reviewer

    I've no idea to be honest.

    900 quid a month seems a bit low, are you getting paid correctly?
  6. I can see no reason why you would not be entitled to LSA level 1 (VOLSEP) - replaces the old MUSA.
  7. Tax credit as in for my daughter? well my wife and i get £58 per week as a joint claim for child tax credit, dont get working tax credit for some reason.

    I earn 17k as im only on level 2 on lower band
  8. Speak to your HIVE of families officer. Or AFF even. There's a load of people whose job it is to advise you on this kinda stuff.

    Try your hardest not to let the problems you are having impact on your work as it is much easier to get these things sorted if you are perceived well by your unit.

    Hope it works out for you buddy.
  9. Im only on level 2 on lower band. I pay £280 for our quarter so im only left with £900. infact i was taking home £880 on level 1, until i moved to level 2 this month so im getting just over £900
  10. LSA level 1, is that what squaddies get if they are married and unaccompanied?

    Im not clued up at all on different allowances
  11. Someone mentioned speaking to HIVE or the AFF, which would be a good idea.

    I wouldn't bother with the families office, as personal experience has proven them to be useless biffs who are only there because they're fecking shit at their proper jobs.

    (Yes 2 PARA UWO..I'm talking about you)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. what kind of stuff exactly can they help me with?
  13. daywalker

    daywalker LE Reviewer

    £280 for a quarter ?! what type of quarter are you in?
  14. They will tell you everything you are entitled to claim