Advice on Married Unaccompanied

At the present time i live in a married quarter with my wife and child. My wife has been trying to get a job while try get my 18 month into play school which we are struggling with due to private reasons. In sad to say that she isnt entirely happy at were we are at the moment and there is times were our marriage is on thin ice which breaks my heart. She has family approx 100 miles away were she has made it clear that she would be happier having a house back there were she will be around her family and friends. Im away alot on regular basis and work long days sometimes. I want her to be happy and keep my marriage so i agreed to look into the possibility of letting her go back there and get a house (rent). The thing is, im on a very low income and we just manage as it is as i havent been in the army long. Basically what benefits/allowances would i be entitled to if i went back into a single man room, gave our quarter up and stayed at my unit married unaccompanied?

This is the last thing i would have wanted but she would be an 1 - 2 hours drive away so not too long to travel. Also im a tank tptr so i postings dont come my way very regularly so a posting further away isnt something im bothered about at the time being.

Any help would be appreciated as i have a friend that gets an allowance for being unaccompanied and i think he gets some sort of allowance to help towards his fuel on driving home?

Please help as i have told my wife i will put alot of thought into this in the hope that i we could be atleast a bit better off.

Atm i only bring home £900 each month after my quarter bills come off and that supports 3 of us while im wife only brings home £70 per week.

Im paying off some debts from before i joined the army so that doesnt help.

Any help would be appreciated

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
At the present time i live in a married quarter with my wife and child. My wife has been trying to get a job while try get my 18 month into play school which we are struggling with due to private reasons. In sad to say that she isnt entirely happy at were we are at the moment and there is times were our marriage is on thin ice which breaks my heart. She has family approx 100 miles away were she has made it clear that she would be happier having a house back there were she will be around her family and friends. Im away alot on regular basis and work long days sometimes. I want her to be happy and keep my marriage so i agreed to look into the possibility of letting her go back there and get a house (rent). The thing is, im on a very low income and we just manage as it is as i havent been in the army long. Basically what benefits/allowances would i be entitled to if i went back into a single man room, gave our quarter up and stayed at my unit married unaccompanied?

This is the last thing i would have wanted but she would be an 1 - 2 hours drive away so not too long to travel. Also im a tank tptr so i postings dont come my way very regularly so a posting further away isnt something im bothered about at the time being.

Any help would be appreciated as i have a friend that gets an allowance for being unaccompanied and i think he gets some sort of allowance to help towards his fuel on driving home?

Please help as i have told my wife i will put alot of thought into this in the hope that i we could be atleast a bit better off.

Atm i only bring home £900 each month after my quarter bills come off and that supports 3 of us while im wife only brings home £70 per week.

Im paying off some debts from before i joined the army so that doesnt help.

Any help would be appreciated
You would be entitled to get you home pay but that's about it I think.

Do you currently receive tax credit? You should be eligible for a claim, for a household income of circa.15k a year you'd get about an additional 3k a year on top of your earnings

Tax credit as in for my daughter? well my wife and i get £58 per week as a joint claim for child tax credit, dont get working tax credit for some reason.

I earn 17k as im only on level 2 on lower band

Speak to your HIVE of families officer. Or AFF even. There's a load of people whose job it is to advise you on this kinda stuff.

Try your hardest not to let the problems you are having impact on your work as it is much easier to get these things sorted if you are perceived well by your unit.

Hope it works out for you buddy.

Im only on level 2 on lower band. I pay £280 for our quarter so im only left with £900. infact i was taking home £880 on level 1, until i moved to level 2 this month so im getting just over £900

Someone mentioned speaking to HIVE or the AFF, which would be a good idea.

I wouldn't bother with the families office, as personal experience has proven them to be useless biffs who are only there because they're fecking shit at their proper jobs.

(Yes 2 PARA UWO..I'm talking about you)

approx £190 - £200 is accom charge and approx £80 - £90 is cilot. Its around that but its not far from £300. Its a 2 bedroom grade 2, partly furnished

You would not get LSA Level 1 as you are in the same country as your wife. You would get Get You Home Travel, which is based on the mileage between your barracks and home. When you go on exercise or ops, that would cease and you would then get LSA (at whatever Level you are on) for that period. It would then revert to GYH when you are back in camp. You would also be liable to Food & Accom charges, or just Accom if you are on PAYD. GYH is £4.42 per day (paid every day of the month) if you are 100 miles away, so it is not great at covering the cost of fuel.

Would you even be able to rent a house and pay for food, leccy heat etc etc for them as well as the costs for yourself?

Or are you assuming your wife will be able to get a job and affordable childcare "back home"?

I am not saying don't do it as it works for some people but think hard about it before you break up your family.

You will get GYH money, which will just about cover your fuel each month, but that is about all. I don't think you will get Volsep allowance, not sure it even exists anymore.

You need to think about living married unaccompanied. I have done it for 5 of the last 6 years. I have been married 22 years, and it places a big strain on a marriage. Weekends are spent trying to recover from long commutes, your family will want attention all weekend when you just want to relax and enjoy being in your own home, whereas they live there all week and so take it all for granted. This can lead to arguements/resentment. Plus you will both start getting your own routines and these can clash.

Add to this you will being pay food and accommodation living back in the block. Also you will be surrounded by single soldiers who will probably want to drag you out with them all the time. Rent for a civvy dwelling will be significantly higher, so less free cash, so you may not be financially any better off than you are now. It can get lonely and boring living as a young married unaccompanied soldier, so you may be the one who ends up unhappy and/or leave the army.

I had a young soldier who was paying nearly £300 a month rent, we got them voluntarily moved to a cheaper, but obviously not as nice, house, paying £124 pm. If money is an issue this may be your first option? Have you spoken to your troopy/SSM etc they sometimes can lend good advice or know who to talk to.

If you are newly married and have only just moved into quarters, spk to your chain of command/welfare/HIVE etc for advice, The easy option for most young wives who aren't happy is to move back home and this is not the best option so early in your career. If they can stick it out for a while they tend to find army life has its own perks and benefits.