advice on joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by sam1981, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm new here,

hoping someone can give me some advice
    I am a self-empolyed mechanic by trade, but have no qualifications

I am trying to get in to the army and the entry requirements for the job in the reme,
    i've applied for are math and english GCSEs at grade D or above,
    they won't accept my Adult Literacy level 2 and Adult Numeracy level 1,
    as they said they're the equivalent of a high grade pass at GCSE but they're is not GCSEs,
    they won't accept an igcse either.

contact my local college again, I was told I would have to sit the gcse examinations next summer.

the maximum age to join the army is 32.11, and i'm 30.4 now so i've not got much time.

Kind Regards

2. Have you got Mechanic qualifications?
  3. what advice do you want? If your recruiter says you need those grades, then those are the grades you need.

some people wait one and a half years plus for some jobs in the reme, you're gonna have to be tip-top if you wanna compete, that means sub 9.40 run times, good barb, literacy, numeracy etc, remember your competing with guys under 20 y/o, fresh out of college/school

Whats wrong with spending a year smashing out your GCSE's?, maybe join the TA in the mean time. Get your fitness up and then try to join?
  4. yea i agree with Smithers, it takes as long as it takes, cant rush it. but in the meantime join the TA. Thats youre best option, then if you do join the Regulars you will already have some experience
  5. By my calculations you've got 2 year and 7 months. Get cracking. That's plenty of time.