Advice on Infantry life

From personal experience, albeit long ago, you will find it difficult to move to a corps from the infantry.
If they’d considered you suitably cerebral for a more technical role- a “trade”- you’d have been offered it already.
As others have said, there are limited options TODAY for operational fun, but that means little- tomorrow something might well kick off. In the meantime you can still do a job which will be way more varied and interesting than most you’ll find in civvy street: at the beginning you’ll be thrilled to be deemed responsible enough to do guard duty, then you’ll get bored with it, then it’ll become a pain in the arse, then- one day- it will occur to you that for some of your civvy mates, guard duty is the only thing they do. Except they’re doing it on some godforsaken construction site, their workmates are all braindead 50-year-olds, and they don’t get to shoot cnuts trying to break in.
Meantime you can make the most of the challenging recruiting and retention situation by using your brain to move up the ranks.

GH05TCD

Swinger
Do you not think that having been in jail, may have something to do with your possible dilemma.
Well aware of this fact, and we all have to pay for our mistakes. This post isn't a moan about my choices, I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for the decision I'm about to make. It's more my driving ban having an effect at the moment anyway.

FWIW from one with a little experience in the military, albeit in the US.

First of all, it is good to see you realize you need to change the trajectory you are on since the bits and bobs you have given about your recent past certainly don't bode well for your future if you don't make a radical change.

That said, however, you have also posted the following:

"stuck in this role [the infantry] for the whole 4 years"

"not sure if I've the patience for a 3 month wait"

"pretty low boredom threshold"

These comments should sound a warning bell to you as the Army, like most military organizations with which I am familiar has a rather low tolerance for impatient soldiers and even less so for those who tend to "act out" when bored, as you seem to imply you have done in your past.

Accordingly, I would think long and hard about this decision and ask yourself (honestly) what will I do if I am "stuck" in the infantry for 4 years? While you hope you can make a change after a year, what if the Army doesn't see it that way?

Although the Army is apparently trying to be "kinder and gentler" now, do not think your lot will be an easy one if you find yourself "stuck in the infantry" and allow that to adversely affect your motivation, attitude, attention to duty and the like.
Thanks for the well thought out reply. I have considered what I would do and have also given thought to the 'Army comes first' mantra. At any rate, I'm well aware that when I sign for 4 years, I am giving 4 years of my life away where I will have little say on what happens. Luckily enough, I've a pretty strong passion for guns and being outside on exercise, so this should keep me entertained over the 4 years should that happen.

I'm just trying to make the best possible choice for life outside of the Army if I decide I've had enough after the 4 years. I'm 26 now, which means I will be 30 after my minimum term is up, so time is a bit more important to me than someone coming straight out of school. The difficult part is judging weather I should wait what could be 6+ months for a chance to join the signals, or if I should take a gamble and join now in the hope that the opportunity to retrade will be there.

It seems like the best bet is just to count that option out and consider what I would do after leaving 4 years in the infantry. Has anyone had any experience with Close Protection roles on civvy street?

Well aware of this fact, and we all have to pay for our mistakes. This post isn't a moan about my choices, I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for the decision I'm about to make. It's more my driving ban having an effect at the moment anyway.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I have considered what I would do and have also given thought to the 'Army comes first' mantra. At any rate, I'm well aware that when I sign for 4 years, I am giving 4 years of my life away where I will have little say on what happens. Luckily enough, I've a pretty strong passion for guns and being outside on exercise, so this should keep me entertained over the 4 years should that happen.

I'm just trying to make the best possible choice for life outside of the Army if I decide I've had enough after the 4 years. I'm 26 now, which means I will be 30 after my minimum term is up, so time is a bit more important to me than someone coming straight out of school. The difficult part is judging weather I should wait what could be 6+ months for a chance to join the signals, or if I should take a gamble and join now in the hope that the opportunity to retrade will be there.

It seems like the best bet is just to count that option out and consider what I would do after leaving 4 years in the infantry. Has anyone had any experience with Close Protection roles on civvy street?
4 years stagging on in a line infantry battalion is unlikely to qualify you for CP work. Bouncer at your local ‘Spoons maybe.

You don't aim very high sunshine, join the Royal Air Force and get a proper trade

EDIT Better food and 5* hotels
Not anymore

One thing the army will give you which most other employers won’t is opportunities. Opportunities to travel, to train and to learn. You will sign on for a 4 year commitment but it’s also down to you what you get out of it because these opportunities will come up and a lot of blokes will chin it off “can’t be arsed”/“******* where?”/ “sounds shite”/ “what do I want to get promoted for” etc etc. That’s your and their choice but if you are going into this because you recognise that past mistakes mean your life choices have suddenly narrowed then also recognise that how you approach your time in the army will also affect how you fair when you come out of it, regardless of whether that’s after 4 years or 20.

If you want to get cold wet and walk everywhere you should at least set your sights higher and go Para. If your shit stinks of old spice and victory and you can fell fanny at 50 yards with a cheeky wink, man up and join Liz’s sea ninjas.

If you want to get cold wet and walk everywhere you should at least set your sights higher and go Para. If your shit stinks of old spice and victory and you can fell fanny at 50 yards with a cheeky wink, man up and join Liz’s sea ninjas.

I think he said he already was refused entry as a booty. No red frock or something. ;-)

My experience with the world of post-service contracting is that your pre-service issues may be problematic as contracting companies, especially for CP work (and even more so if not in a combat zone such as celebrity CP etc.), are pretty risk-averse due to liability and insurance concerns. I would also agree with the previous poster that contracting companies for CP work tend to look toward the special forces for more relevant skill sets/experience.

One thing the army will give you which most other employers won’t is opportunities. Opportunities to travel, to train and to learn. You will sign on for a 4 year commitment but it’s also down to you what you get out of it because these opportunities will come up and a lot of blokes will chin it off “can’t be arsed”/“******* where?”/ “sounds shite”/ “what do I want to get promoted for” etc etc. That’s your and their choice but if you are going into this because you recognise that past mistakes mean your life choices have suddenly narrowed then also recognise that how you approach your time in the army will also affect how you fair when you come out of it, regardless of whether that’s after 4 years or 20.
My bold.

I was on a course years ago, in deepest darkest Shropshire, with a bloke who'd joined up with f**k all in the way of educational qualifications, and a pretty 'colourful' past; he was ex-infantry of some description, whichever regiment I forget as it was a looooong old time ago.

This bloke had kept his nose clean, got his Cpl's stripes up and applied for the Army Pilot's Course. He got a slot, ended up a WO flying Mk9 Lynxes and last I heard was commissioned and an instructor pilot on the Apache.

That's what can be achieved if you have a bit of drive and are willing to engage with the opportunities offered. Likewise I'm sure the SF Group have many people of similar origins, and if you go to the technical Corps [embarrassing though that might be!!!] then you will get the opportunity to harvest qualifications left, right & centre to enable a successful post-Army career.

It's up to you.

My bold.

I was on a course years ago, in deepest darkest Shropshire, with a bloke who'd joined up with f**k all in the way of educational qualifications, and a pretty 'colourful' past; he was ex-infantry of some description, whichever regiment I forget as it was a looooong old time ago.

This bloke had kept his nose clean, got his Cpl's stripes up and applied for the Army Pilot's Course. He got a slot, ended up a WO flying Mk9 Lynxes and last I heard was commissioned and an instructor pilot on the Apache.

That's what can be achieved if you have a bit of drive and are willing to engage with the opportunities offered. Likewise I'm sure the SF Group have many people of similar origins, and if you go to the technical Corps [embarrassing though that might be!!!] then you will get the opportunity to harvest qualifications left, right & centre to enable a successful post-Army career.

It's up to you.
Great post.

Latest Threads