Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice On how to Join the Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahi

Crow
I am 16 years old and I would like to try and join the SAS but have no skills yet and would like to know what to gain and some advice on how to join or even when?

I am 16 years old and I would like to try and join the SAS but have no skills yet and would like to know what to gain and some advice on how to join or even when?
For once I will try and overcome my base instincts, and just say; one cannot directly enter the SAS, one must first be a trained serving soldier in a Regiment or Corps. I would advise you to contact a recruiting office, and avail yourself of the C/Sgt's infinite knowledge of options and process.

Ken M

Clanker

Forget about the SAS until you're well grown up, are mentally strong, have got a few good years' service in Infantry, or Armour etc, are a confirmed hard nut able to take a good pounding and still come up smiling, are recommended by your Regiment and are ready to tackle one of the most physically and mentally demanding Selection Courses in the world. Several months long. Of those who attempt SAS Selection only a small minority will pass.

Put the idea on the back burner for another 7 or 8 years and think about it when you've got some solid time behind you in a Regiment.

If you do join the Army, do not turn up on your first day, and tell everyone that you are hoping to join the SAS after a few years in your unit. You will be severely mocked, by both the other recruits and the instructors, as you have not yet passed the basic training.
When I was a recruit, one of our PT instructors told us a tale of a guy he was on the train with, from London to Sutton Coldfield. They were going there to do their 2 day assessment. This guy told him and the other potential recruits he was 21 SAS (a reserve unit), and was giving it the big one about going for the Paras as a parent unit, before going for regular 22 SAS.
The upshot was that the gobshite not only failed Paras selection, but selection from the Army. Also he got binned by 21 SAS.
Don't bring unwanted attention to yourself. Good luck whatever you choose.

Chimp

ADC
This is a genuine thought - have you considered MI5 or MI6? It may be that you have skills that would serve the country well in this area. No doubt someone will call me a fool for mentioning it, BUT these folks DO exist and started somewhere...

The_Duke

LE
Locked. Some posts deleted, points awarded. It is getting really tedious having to deal with the “comedians” but it will be peaceful once they get banned for their next rule breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads