advice on hearing loss

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by paulkamula, Nov 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all,
    i have served with UDR and R.IRISH for 10 years some time ago.
    i now suffer for permanant ringing in one ear and i think a general loss of hearing. i took a hearing test last week results as follows right ear 140
    left ear 120.the tw*t doing the test was unhelpful and didnt discuss the results with me (civvy employer) would anyone be able to tell what the results mean in terms of hearing loss ? cheers in advance. sorry if this post is in the wrong place !
  2. Those numbers don't mean anything on their own.

So not a lot of help.

You need to know where you are on this:

Now speak up a bit as that rifle was a loud bugger.
  3. now were talking i will be sent a copy of the test and will post it many thanks i owe you a pint
  4. Ahmm, the -140 and -120 dbm mentioned are probably the weakest spots in your audio freq spectrum (20-20KHz) about 1 to 5 Khz is the area affected (loud bangs = perforated eardrums) for an industrial injury.

Do you have difficulty centralising on quiet sounds (the mobiles ringing within 10 ft but cannot quite find it ), do you find you have to ask for comments again, do you find you are looking at the speakers lips as an aid, or do you make honest comment in a conversation that makes everyone stare at you as if you had just gone mad?

If you live basically normally, whats the panic?

If its a money thing:-

The goverment will one-off recompense for "military" hear loss.. after that they have problems about paying for further loss (natural degradation) because the hearing loss from firing 66mm's and being 66 years gets a bit blurry.

But you will be eligible for aid when purchasing a hearing one!

NB. The hearing printout is deliberatly made right to left for the doctor, so it's arrse about face for you but right for the rest of the population!
  5. Wonderful! Steven cuts and pastes a chart and gets a pint! I do the hard work and get f,k all!! It's like being back in the Army.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The key to demonstrating that hearing loss is noise-induced is that the loss is disproportionately more severe in the higher frequencies. You need a printout which demonstrates this.
  7. HHH

HHH LE

You could get in touch with these people for advice;

Aftercare Service
  8. HHH

HHH LE

Here, have a pint on me !

9. Is that one of those interesting pints of Guiness? some places they come plain, some places they come with a shamrock and some places the come with a Union flag.
  10. HHH

HHH LE

That one has a smilely face on it, to avoid any offence !!:)
  11. LMFAO! I will now go and order one!
    • Like Like x 1