Advice on getting fitness level up before applying?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Bex22, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a while from applying yet but want to make sure I am as physically fit as possible when I do. I also want to make sure I am fit in the right way - to cope with the training at Sandhurst.

Does anybody have a good regime to start me off?

At the moment I horseride everyday (although I know this isn't amazing for fitness) and I run frequently!

Thank you

2. Riding is actually of help (if you do it properly) to build core stability. I ride several horses daily, and found that when I started working on fitness for my application, I could easily crank out 100 situps in the required time. Lots of sitting trot!

Anyway, go running. Go running. Go running. Do pressups, do pressups, do pressups. Do situps, do situps, do situps. Do tricep dips do...

You get the picture!
  3. Run, run, run, up hill, down hill, across fields and rivers.

Failing that I've opened a new gym in my garage, your welcome to come train but it's £30 up front and you have to be able to fit your own foot in your own vagina.
  4. Can I come if I can fit my foot in somebody else's vagina? I don't possess my own.
  5. Snoreador, not the banter becoming an officer of the Household Cavalry! Fist not foot
  6. Oh sorry, I always get body parts mixed up. It's caused me quite some hassle in the past: "I'm very sorry officer, I thought that was my knee!".
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

8. As said above British Military Fitness if there's a class near you get down there,I work as a instructor there and have had a lot of guys come through who are working on there fitness before joining up. A bit of that and get your trainers on and hit the roads on the days in between.I was lucky enough to go on a visit to Sandhurst a couple of months ago to see how the PT side of training was ran,as long as you have a reasonable fitness level when you arrive the muscled gods of the Corp who are at Sandhurst will get you sorted.
  9. As future Officers we should dive in head first to any task asked of us.....
  10. Yuk.

Or, hmmm?

I'm finding this rather useful to shave off a few seconds on my 1.5m run. The 4 week training program is pretty good, if its not enough for you, it can be modified according to your needs.

Good luck with your application.
  12. One other tip, which isn't actually as obvious (or perhaps, easy?) as it sounds... When you're training, and you think you're tired / done / fucked, you're probably actually not. Push on through. It's amusing being a quivering gibbering wreck after training with that attitude.