Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on Diving Training

begbie

Old-Salt
99.9% certain BSAC do not teach air-sharing any longer.
I am no longer current - but my best mate is and is BSAC/ PADI / with loads of experience on mixed gases at extreme depths.
I was taught and practiced air-sharing - but times and equipment change and now it is considered a greater risk to both divers.
BSAC still teach you to use your buddy’s spare regulator, if you run out or have an equipment failure.

I used to dive with a BSAC club. Strict no alcohol on the boat policy. Of course if you wanted to stay up drinking until 0300 with rope's off at 0600, that was fine. On getting back on the boat after a dive half of them would immediately start chugging the Red Bulls so they could even stand, they were all in the early stages of the bends, because none of them knew how to deco. Not least because of the common practice of breathing their tanks down to empty then bolting to the surface on a pony bottle. As for when their tanks were last serviced, God only knew. Club had its own compressor, because no commercial station would give them fills. I hesitate to even call what they did diving, most of them just walked on the bottom.

Safety? Not sure they'd even heard of it.

What number was the BSAC club ?

BSAC still teach you to use your buddy’s spare regulator, if you run out or have an equipment failure.

Spare regulator - Luxury !
I never used a wetsuit, never used a drysuit, never wore an inflatable vest thingy, just mask, snorkel, flippers, airtank in crude harness, single-feed regulater, weight belt with one lump and a knife.

Told you I wasn't current !

begbie

Old-Salt
I never used a wetsuit, never used a drysuit, never wore an inflatable vest thingy, just mask, snorkel, flippers, airtank in crude harness, single-feed regulater, weight belt with one lump and a knife.

Things have definitely changed!

Your round, then!

So do PADI , NAUI and VDTL .

I started with BSAC with the RAF in 1995 , might have been fast streamed as on my third dive to 30 M ? with the Officer in charge , he lost the boot on the bottom of his tank , so I picked it up and put it back on for him . Post dive he was a bit peeved as a novice ( who should not have been there) had to help him.

After 5 years moved to Italy. NAUI, not to bad but the local dive places were PADI and some were very bad.

Still did my Nitrox and other courses.

One dive with a PADI dive leader we saw barracuda at about 30M , another diver had a free flow, so his regulator was not working, The dive master decided to take the chap with the free flow and guide him at depth to the drop line instead of a controlled ascent. Still his decision.

Then moved again to do PADI. As they say , put another dollar in. Basic stuff for a few hundred dollars. BSAC used to do it for free but you needed to turn up for all the training.

Been lucky to dive in the Maldives, Mauritius and the Seychelles , Zanzibar and the Med. Cyprus on a RAF exped, the Zenobia 2 times a day and the HMS Cricket as well as a cliff entrance from the cliff with the white church on top.

Best dives,

30 M in the deep blue off a Maldivian island , waiting for about 30 minutes until a huge school of hammer head sharks passed us.

Diving a WW2 mine sweeper that found a mine, 50 M as it was the dive masters 50th birthday. Short time and about 3 martinis.

Christmas day , quick dive and seeing sharks, rays and turtles.

Night dive 4 m dive from the coast In Sardinia, saw most ,if not all of the animals/ fish found in the Med, octopuses, stone fish, nudi branches, cuttle fish, prawns , Sea horses. Not always the big things that make diving great.

I would look for a BSAC school but I think they charge now.

Last edited:

I started with BSAC with the RAF in 1995 , might have been fast streamed as on my third dive to 30 M ? with the Officer in charge , he lost the boot on the bottom of his tank , so I picked it up and put it back on for him . Post dive he was a bit peeved as a novice ( who should not have been there) had to help him.

After 5 years moved to Italy. NAUI, not to bad but the local dive places were PADI and some were very bad.

One dive with a PADI dive leader we saw barracuda at about 30M , another diver had a free flow, so his regulator was not working, The dive master decided to take the chap with the free flow and guide him at depth to the drop line instead of a controlled ascent. Still his decision.

Then moved again to do PADI. As they say , put another dollar in. Basic stuff for a few hundred dollars. BSAC used to do it for free but you needed to turn up for all the training.

Been lucky to dive in the Maldives, Mauritius and the Seychelles , Zanzibar and the Med. Cyprus on a RAF exped, the Zenobia 2 times a day and the HMS Cricket as well as a cliff entrance from the cliff with the white church on top.

Best dives,

30 M in the deep blue off a Maldivian island , waiting for about 30 minutes until a huge school of hammer head sharks passed us.

Diving a WW2 mine sweeper that found a mine, 50 M as it was the dive masters 50th birthday. Short time and about 3 martinis.

Night dive 4 m dive from the coast In Sardinia, saw most ,if not all of the animals/ fish found in the Med, octopuses, stone fish, nudi branches, cuttle fish, prawns , Sea horses. Not always the big things that make diving great.

I took some YO's for a few days skydiving in Cyprus.
Over beers, they told a story I seem to remember, of recently diving a car ferry, on its side, full of vehicles still strapped down by their chains.

Zenobia ?

Edit - Google says Zenobia = Cyprus , Larnaca, car ferry, so probably the same one.

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
If I may,I happened to be watching a programme on TV last night about a British guy setting up a diving holiday scheme operating out of a place in France. The guy was a PADI instructor and was get set up in conjunction with a local who had an appropriate boat, until a French lady pointed out that he had to get a French qualification before he could sell diving holidays,much to this guy's dismay. What was that about? I thought PADI quals were international.
it's france.

there's a reason half a million of them live in london running businesses here instead of at home

Best dives,

Zenobia’s a cracking dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would second BSAC ......

There was a couple who taught both BSAC and PADI based near Tonbridge
Scubafun
Address:
THE OLD POST OFFICE, HEVER ROAD
Postcode/City:
TN8 7NU Bough Beech
County:
Kent England
Phone:
01732 700760

I learnt to dive with them many years ago ..... not sure they're still active but very good and professional .
Have like many others dived all over the world and found BSAC training stood me in good stead when others have had issues .......nothing like diving in Stoney Cove with a crust of ice around the edge to concentrate the mind and if you can dive safely in those conditions then clear warm water is less of a challenge .

Had bad experiences diving in the Caribbean with groups off cruise ships ......mainly American who had little or no discipline in the water ....would fin over you , kneel or hold onto corral or features but worst of all swim off to join their mates leaving their buddy on his/her own . Had to rescue one young lady who was just left by her American buddy and had equipment problems and IMHO would have probably died as a result as the Dive master had his hands full trying to control the muppets .... I will never forget the look of terror in her eyes......my own "buddy" had done likewise and gone off with his mates .

Subsequent dives were as others have said with the dive master as buddy and an unofficial tail end charlie....
I thought this was due to the dynamics of the particular customers on the cruise ship but talking to many others this is not uncommon .

Some of the best dives were in Northern Cyprus with a local company and led by the lovely Vashti whom I swear was part dolphin she was so at home underwater .

Kimmi - if you are still serving, BSAC is the way to go! This is because all UK forces diving comes under the BSAC umbrella. Your unit will possibly have a 'Special' Military BSAC branch or the Club Swingers will be able to tell you where the nearest one is.

HOWEVER - I'd pootle off and get a PADI ticket (spit) just so you'll gain an understanding of basic diving and be able to get in the water. You can then dive while undergoing the BSAC syllabus.

I'm a (lapsed) SADS, FCD and AI. And PADI Rescue Diver!

kimmi851

War Hero
Thank you everyone for all the tips.

@SONAR-BENDER - that is fantastic but sadly I have been out of the RAF for a very long time. Still I am liable to end up diving with friends who are still in.

It sounds like this is just the hobby for me. Mini Kimmi sails so she doesn't mind too much my interest in going under the water as she likes being on top of it.

Kimmi - if you are still serving, BSAC is the way to go! This is because all UK forces diving comes under the BSAC umbrella. Your unit will possibly have a 'Special' Military BSAC branch or the Club Swingers will be able to tell you where the nearest one is.

HOWEVER - I'd pootle off and get a PADI ticket (spit) just so you'll gain an understanding of basic diving and be able to get in the water. You can then dive while undergoing the BSAC syllabus.

I'm a (lapsed) SADS, FCD and AI. And PADI Rescue Diver!

SADS , Famo was one RAF SADS I used to dive with , His normal briefing Was , jump in the water and lets see what we find.

On time on a dive exped to Palau. He broke the dives in a day record , including bouncing to 70 M on air , just to see what it was like?.

SADS , Famo was one RAF SADS I used to dive with , His normal briefing Was , jump in the water and lets see what we find.

On time on a dive exped to Palau. He broke the dives in a day record , including bouncing to 70 M on air , just to see what it was like?.
I may know somebody who bounced to 65m to see what his computer (a 1st edition black Aladin) would do compared to my his mate's Edge, which it was suggested would shut off at 45m and perform an alternating checkerboard pattern for 48 hours.

It did.

Mine His was just fine.

We were young(er) and stupid(er). Lessons learnt? Well, it is REALLY easy to go very deep, very quick when the water is gin clear and 34 degrees - and several hundred meters to the bottom.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I took some YO's for a few days skydiving in Cyprus.
Over beers, they told a story I seem to remember, of recently diving a car ferry, on its side, full of vehicles still strapped down by their chains.

Zenobia ?

Edit - Google says Zenobia = Cyprus , Larnaca, car ferry, so probably the same one.

I’ve probably dived the Zenobia about 15 times this summer, including a couple of night dives and inside the cargo decks. It is amazing with loads of wildlife.

Also good dives at cape Greco and Green Bay

Last edited:
I’ve probably dived the Zenobia about 15 times this summer, including a couple of night dives and inside the cargo decks. It is amazing with loads of wildlife.

Also good dives at cape Greco and Green Bay

I wonder if it’s worth a diving sub-forum?

I enjoyed my Zenobia dive but I’m limited to 40m

Latest Threads