Advice on Collections please

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by veritas, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi,

    Ive been pestering event organisors to see if I could do a collection at a medieval re-enactment and permission has been given for me to go tin rattling at an event in Windsor, 28-29th June.

    Never collected before and I was wondering if there were any regs I had to adhere to?

    I was going to collect for the arrse funds but I thought H4H would be more widely known and therefore more likely to get a response.

    Any tips gratefully received.

  2. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    You need a licence from the local authority to rattle a tin.
  3. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Adding just read your post again.
    I'm assuming a Licence has been granted for Windsor.
    For the Medieval event, permission from the event organiser is a given & I would again apply for a licence as you will have members of the public there.
    Quite often people think that because a collection is taking place on private property there is no need for the licence but all the large supermarket chains insist on one for collections at their stores. Because the collections take place on private property there is not the same problem of clashing dates which the local authority take into consideration.
    If I was you I'd ring the licencing officer and ask advice
  4. elovabloke

    elovabloke LE Moderator

    Not sure on legal issues so contact H4H at Tidworth - they have official collection buckets. If you go to the FAQ on their web site you can also find their county rep.
  5. Eeep!

    Licenses! didnt think about that. I hope theres enough time to sort it out.

  6. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Given them a ring. In my area they can be turned round in a couple of days if no problems.
  7. Ive read the blurb on the H4H site and they suggest I may not need one as the event is on private property. Ive sent tham an email any way, also asking for tins / wristbands.

    Free Range Farm,
    Oakley Green Rd
    Fifield, Near Windsor,
    SL4 4GW

    However, now I have the full adress I will find out which council covers that place and give tham a ring.

    Further... Council has details, going to look into it and ring me back with answers.
  8. Well its all sorted. No licence needed and all my collection tins & wrist bands arrived saturday.

    I'll be collecting at this event


    28-29th June near Windsor.