Advice on career in the British Army Air Corps?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by stephen1993, Jan 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When looking at the army website it says It says you need a minimum qualification of A-Levels or equivalent - I'm doing a BTEC National Diploma in ICT and i'm predicted MMM (this is equivalent to 3 A-Levels) would this qualification allow me to join also if i gain the level MMM i will gain 240 UCAS points (180 required) will this mean i will get into the training or will they just look at my application.
    Also what are ALIS points? (because i need 35 of them and i don't know what they are)
    Is the army the easiest out of the three (army, navy or RAF) to fly in and if i try to get a private pilot licence will this improve my chances or is there no point.
    How to i apply for the Air Corps, do i just apply for that role or do i have to do something else then apply for it.
    If i cant get into the Air Corps what will improve my chances of getting in.
    Thanks and sorry for all the questions (its just i've always wanted to fly for the military)
    (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question)

2. My original plan was to fly for the military, and there's no "easy" way to do it. As far as I know, which could be wrong, all pilots have to take the same aptitude test no matter what branch of the armed forces you come from (army, navy or RAF). All branches require officer entry in order to go straight to flying.

ALIS points are your GCSE points, and the grades are worked out as follows:

A* = 8, A = 7, B = 6, C = 5, D = 4, E = 3, F = 2, G = 1, U = 0

Usually need to include English and Maths and the like though. I don't know about your BTEC situation, I was under the impression they wanted A Levels. A friend of mine applied for the Navy, and even though he's doing a degree in Electrical Engineering, he wasn't accepted because his A Levels weren't good enough (even though his foundation year at uni earnt him enough UCAS). This could be entirely different for the army.

Best bet as always is to go and have a chat at your local careers office, they'll let you know the ins and outs of it all!

3. It will give you an appreciation of what aircraft instruments look like, and as this is(or it used to be) in the apptitude tests, it may help, but then again it may not. When I did mine, 3 oiks with ppls failed. That was after they scoffed at my 100hrs of glider flying.

I assume from the your post that your aiming towards a commission? The AAC will interview you at Sandhurst, and if you don't pass that, or the aptitude, or the medical, then they have no use for you.

If you're not thinking of a commission, then you don't need GCSE results to fly as an NCO pilot.

4. this is just what I was looking for....and shows how well the search function works :D thank you chaps!