Advice on British Army basic training tests.

Hi there, I have recently passed my British army selection and now waiting for my basic training to start. I am all over my fitness and have good knowledge of the sa80, so those aspects I will do fine on. However in regards to the other tests such as the map reading exam and first aid, I am worried incase I fail on these. Yes I know. Don't think negative, but I'm a logical guy and always think of worse case scenarios. I know you can retake but what happens if you still can't grasp it? Do you get kicked out? Or do you stay longer, I. E 15 or 16 weeks instead of 14 until you pass?
Cheers

You'll be taught it, and absolute mong children who failed nigh everything passed in my intake. You'll be fine.

If you do fail something, your platoon\troop staff will "make you" pass, by changing a '0' to an '8', as an example.

In the far chance you do manage to balls up royally, you'll be back-coursed to the next closest intake to yours. Can be a week, a few days, or a month.

Top tip; don't let the instructors know you have "good knowledge" of the SA80.
You might regret it if you do :)

Keep fit, remember why you have two ears and one mouth - thats the appropriate ratio for use...

But if you don't know something, ASK.

Hi there, I have recently passed my British army selection and now waiting for my basic training to start. I am all over my fitness and have good knowledge of the sa80, so those aspects I will do fine on. However in regards to the other tests such as the map reading exam and first aid, I am worried incase I fail on these. Yes I know. Don't think negative, but I'm a logical guy and always think of worse case scenarios. I know you can retake but what happens if you still can't grasp it? Do you get kicked out? Or do you stay longer, I. E 15 or 16 weeks instead of 14 until you pass?
Cheers
Here's a daft thing! Go 'Old School' and buy a book on it!

Can't remember the one I got, think it's 'Basic Map Reading' by Keith Gillard (only 48 pages) - it's frequently recommended - but anything by MLTB (Mountain Leader Training Board) Ordnance Survey (OS) but BRITISH, as opposed to US, for familiarity.

Yours to reference 'cos here's a thing, don't become over reliant on technology and just watching YouTube 'How to' videos, Apps - or GPS.

Easier than you think. Definitely worth knowing - don't blame others if you get lost.

Have a look at this series too.

Don't worry about anything you will be taught how to do everything from cleaning your foreskin to single tapping with a GPMG and buying not fit for purpose financial products..........

Phase 1 assumes no prior knowledge. You'll be taught everything you need. Keep the fitness up and don't worry about things out of your control. And as previously suggested, use ears before engaging mouth.

Phase 1 assumes no prior knowledge. You'll be taught everything you need. Keep the fitness up and don't worry about things out of your control. And as previously suggested, use ears before engaging mouth.
Thanks mate! Appreciate it! Will do

Thanks mate! Will do! Thanks for the advice!

Latest Threads