Advice on assessment running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I just joined the reserves and I will soon have my assessment. I know the required run is now 1.2 miles (2k) in 11 mins 15 seconds.
I have done two practice runs so far and walked for around 3 minutes of it making my run time around 15 minutes. The reason I feel like I need to stop is I get a really sore throat while running. just wondering if anyone else has this problem and any tips please?

Hi everyone I just joined the reserves and I will soon have my assessment. I know the required run is now 1.2 miles (2k) in 11 mins 15 seconds.
I have done two practice runs so far and walked for around 3 minutes of it making my run time around 15 minutes. The reason I feel like I need to stop is I get a really sore throat while running. just wondering if anyone else has this problem and any tips please?

Unless it’s crippling pain, drink more water and get on with it. As you get fitter, your body will be under less stress and this should pass. If it is crippling pain go to the doctor.
Be comfortable being uncomfortable, this test is the *minimum* standard to get into the army. You need to focus your training on making it through phase 1 and 2. Knock a couple of minutes off your 2k time (aim for 9 min) and you’ll find the whole process far easier and, dare I say it enjoyable. By continually focusing on the next hurdle you’ll only stress yourself out.

Tips: sprints. Google and YouTube are your friend. However, I strongly recommend joining a running club; it will set you up for success and teach you ‘how’ to run, pacing, technique, speed.
Start integrating exercise into your daily life.

I reiterate again that this is the minimum standard, I’ve never trained for the PFA/SCR, if you have good all round fitness you’ll not have an issue.

Last edited:

Dalef65

Old-Salt
As indicated by the previous two posters, if you're getting a sore throat, it would seem your throat is drying out.
The remedy is, as they pointed out, to drink more water.

But.. that doesn't mean you should simply chuck litres of it down your neck just before the run. . It has to be done as a general thing throughout your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.