Advice on a good read!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Potential, Jan 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need a decent doorstep of a book to take on holiday with me - want something with action, suspense, etc. Can be historical, modern or futuristic but don't want something that is someone's diary/logbook etc although it can be based on fact.

Any recommendations?

2. Lord of the Rings, it's a brick.

3. Read it

4. Pot, I hope you're not talking about your honeymoon here!

5. Yes DB I am - although its only for the long haul flight!!

ON the other hand - I need to do something while CM recovers! :wink:

6. That's ok then! :D

7. Try Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It’s a historical novel about the Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae.

It’s an absolute cracker.

8. Currently working my way through the 20 books of Patrick O'Brian tracing the journey of Aubrey and Maturin in the Royal Navy in the early 19th Century. The film Master and Commander was based on two of the books. If you like a bit of alternative naval action on your honeymoon then you can't go far wrong here.

By the way congratulations.

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

This 'holiday' - is it one that's coming up in nine days time ?

Here's a few titles that were recommended by a lady who has just gone through a similar ordeal.

Art (non-fiction):
    "Ceilings of the World"
    "Headboards I Have Studied and Bitten"

Novels:
    "Move That Light, It's In My Eyes"
    "Go On, Let Me Put It There !"

Medical dramas:
    "Dr Chuckles Cures Cystitis"
    "Lethal Lack of Lubricant"

Biographies:
    "Why Didn't I Choose Cuts ?"
    "I Left My Cap In Amsterdam"

10. On holiday a couple of years ago I read The Company, a fictional saga about the CIA from 1945 - 1992. A great read, it's a big old book but very convoluted. The depiction of ops in post-war Berlin is very evocative.

11. Gone with the wind - a classic apparently

12. Any of Wilbur Smiths,all good

13. If you've not read any of them then the Dan Brown books are pretty good.
    Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons are the best two.
    They're not actually fact but you almost start believing them, they're good.
    If you've got space a really good one I've just read is "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" which is strange, disturbing and definitely not normal (about a kid with aspergers syndrome). For weird Life of Pi is brilliant as well, expand your horizons!!!
    If you like travel books (not enough action?) then pick up some bill bryson, they're normally pretty funny
    Finally it might be fiction but it's got everything and imho it's the best book ever written: hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. If you pick up "the triology of five" it's a massive lump that'll take you a while, but you might not get any sleep... it's that good

14. Dune - Frank Herbert

Launching of Roger Brook - Dennis Wheatley

15. May I recommend Queens Regs? You may need them to formulate your defence if you ever open fire!