Advice on a free DNS (DDNS) provider

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BONNACON, Nov 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking to run a few IP cameras at my abode. Currently I use Panasonic IP cameras that provide an easy set up log-in but I have been looking at outside cams and Panasonic are a bit pricey.
    A static DNS would be a good option but I hear this can be a security problem.
    My other route would be configuring the cams over a third party DNS but being a cheap skate I'm looking for free stuff or cheap at least. Any suggestions?

2. Ta. Have you used it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is what I like about arrse. People point you to the questions you should be asking.

4. Most/Some ISPs charge for static ip addresses. If you are willing to pay for a static one then go for it. Personally if you are just running cameras, I wouldn't pay for one. Best thing to do is to check with your ISP to see what they provide.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. I know the point you were trying to make which is why I said some charge. As you say, not all ISPs are like yours and give people a "permanent" DHCP IP address, which is why I said the OP should contact his ISP to find out what they do. Personally I would be inclined to use a free DDNS provider such as the one I pointed out earlier so he does not have a problem should his ISP provide him a DHCP address that lasts a day or a year.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Been using it for a few years. My ISP doesn't often change my IP, but when they do, there's no warning. Prior to Dyndns this would take down all my domains, sites and mail server.