Advice on 4x4 CRV or X Trail?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by JINGO, Jan 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Dear collective wisdom.
    I am thinking of investing in a fairly soft 4x4 mainly for camping and carting our GSD hound around in. Im not too bothered about hard core off road performance but it makes sense to have some ability to reach remote spots in Scotland to pitch up. Hence I will be doing some motorway milage also.
    So far im considering the Honda CRV and the Nissan X Trail, I doubt I will be doing enough yearly milage to make diesel essential so the question is... does anybody on here have experience of either type and what is the best option engine wise?
    Im leaning towards the 2 Litre petrol CRV I will have around £10000 to outlay so it aint going to brand spanking.

2. My Dad has had CRV's for years. They are nails. Never go wrong, never fail to start in any weather.
    My only advice is go for the CRV and if you plan on keeping it for a bit look at getting it LPG converted. Life is cheaper that way.

3. Just a thought, Have you looked at the Mitsubishi outlander... Cheaper than a CRV, Bigger with 7 seats and an absolute dream to drive.... It's worth a look.

4. Jeep Cherokee, 2 ltr CRD Ltd diesel, might be an alternative on the second hand Market. Friend of mine uses one to drive west country-Scotland, camping and towing a boat

5. Be a man.

Land Rover Defender 110 CSW. And learn how to drive it.

None of this nambt pamby b0llocks.

6. Then prepare yourself for the shame of being pulled out by a Jap wagon someday.

7. I can't comment on current CR-V models (which seem to have followed the fashion of ballooning up in size) but I had a first generation CR-V in Moscow. Temperatures down to -40oC, sheet ice and liquid mud. The Honda always started, even when just about every other vehicle was frozen. I'm not sure how the transmission worked in detail (ie if it had automatic diff locks), but it had superb performance on ice.

A much better alternative to a 4x4 IMHO is a van. I use an ex-railway maintenance transit: they cost about £3-4k at auction, and come with full crew-cab facilities - table chairs, microwave, water heater, cabin heater, auxilliary batteries, lighting, etc. Absolute bargain compared to a real camper! I took out the bulkhead and reduced it from eight seats down to four, thus creating enough room in the back for a double bed or a full-size motorbike. My 75ps version does about 30 mpg, yet easily copes with mountain roads (Pyranees, Brecons). Ideal hobby wagon..

8. Have a word. Never had a spot of problem. Only time I have ever been anywhere near jap crap is when they pull in in front of your breaking space in snow. Because they have a 4x4 so drive like a complete cnut.

9. I love Land Rover drivers, they seem completely unable to accept any vehicle but a Land Rover. So if you were to get stuck playing around off road you would refuse a tow from a jap truck would you?

10. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Gentlemen thank you for the replies so far. I had not considered the LPG option it makes sense Carlos. CF I would love a LR but the wife will be driving it day to day and loves her comfort. I really want trouble free motoring hence going Jap. Big Floater I dont really need 7 seats as ive only got 2 mates but I will have a look at the Outlander(I say mates I pay them to drink with me).
    4(T) I had looked at the van option but again it comes down to the Mrs (she is the dog handler) and we wont actually be sleeping/camping in the vehicle itself having a very good tent.
    Cheers all much food for thought.

11. Stuck? In this highly unlikely event of course not. I'd ask for help from one of the other Rovers. We drive in packs :wink:

12. I've seen those little waves you give each other, you lot never wave at me. :(