Advice needed :)

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Caboose, Jan 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. well guys I have a few questions for you all! but firstly hello!!

I start my phase 1 in 31 days from this post and Im starting to think about a few things would you be able to answer me these questions :-
    Im joining at 29 and i can imagine there are gonna be a lot of younger recruits and younger corporals and Sergeants , Is this going to make it different for me or more make it more difficult?

Also in the signals as a communication op ( sorry i should of said thats what im doing) is there a chance to get out on patrol? My careers guy said something about battlefield comms where you are actually out on patrol? But I have come to learn that the recruiters sometimes bend the truth? This is what i really want to know tbh, i keep thinking infantry infantry infantry :(

2. watch and shoot watch shoot!

3. Join the RAF as a Nimrod pilot..

4. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Or failing that a harrier pilot...

5. so any serious suggestions guys :p

6. It's spelt Sergeant; a non-commissioned army officer of a rank above that of corporal.

I joined at 24-along with a bloke a couple of years older than me. Cpl Stevie Goodman (our Plt Cpl-dead now, else I wouldn't name him,God rest him) got me and my mucka to one side:
    "Look you two, I take it you've lived as ******* adults before joining this mans Army?"
    We said, "Yes Corporal."
    He said, " well keep an eye on this bunch of ***** for us then, and I'll make no apologies-but you're going to have to take some of this shit with a pinch of salt."

You'll do alright mate. Work on your phys, keep your head down,be a fast learner. A mature attitude in a Corps'll get you your first tape quick. Besides, it'll be entertaining watching your "peers" **** up-especially on the piss!

7. No...................

8. Not necessarily correct on two points.

9. Potato potarto..still missed an "a".

10. I apologize for the spelling mistake, i promise not to use google spell check so readily next time :)

11. And what about the battlefield comms is that something my recruiter told me to spice it up?

12. God knows.I work with scailies now and I havn't got A clue what they get up to.
    shite at looking after their trucks though.
    It's probably got summat to do with radios......(hic)

13. I wouldn't get too arrsey about spelling Sergeant seeing as how half the serving army can't spell it, along with accommodation and subsistence (subsidence allowance anyone?).

Good post anyway bigjimdangley, a bit of maturity can help, as long as the OP doesn't mind being called 'Dad'. :biggrin:

14. Yes mate, If you play your cards right, you will be on patrol with the Inf lads.

I say "if you play your cards right" because it really is something to aspire to do IMHO. I loved my time attached to an Infantry unit and after spending time in a Div or Bde you'll either become bitter and twisted or so disillusioned that it's unbelievable.

The Rear Link job (infantry attachment) is a cracking release from that. Not to mention the war stories that you'll be able to bore people to death with!

Embrace it - oh, and listen to your instructors in training. That stuff will become pretty important later on...

15. You can get out on patrol all the time, you can get ach to RM or any Inf