Advice needed on Cheap to Run Car

Right then. Some serious advice needed here. I've just been promoted in my civvie job which means a move in Office turning a 1 mile commute into a 90 mile round trip every day, 5 days a week.

Now my current car simply ain't suitable enough (1995 1.8 VW Golf Petrol) as the MPG sucks at 32mpg.

So I need to buy another one. Now here is the catch. I don't want to get credit to buy one (nor do I have a credit card to fund the purchase) but instead am looking to pay cash (upto £2000). I am paying cash as I found it hard applying for credit due to my patchy address history (moved 4 times in under 3 years).

I don't really care what it looks like as I believe a car is just a car and is simply there to get me from a to b and not some type of status symbol.

I have my eye on the Renault Clio 1.5 DCI's at the moment from around 2000-2002.

But seeing as I know possibly feck all about cars I wonder if anyone else has got any advice on what to get.

The main requirements are:
Good MPG
errr thats about it!

Clios fall to bits mate, although will be cheap. Can be expensive/impossible to fix. The ex-Doris had one and twas a mare (the car AND her) :D

02 Seat Arosa diesel
02 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi ECO 4 w/aircon
02 Fiesta 1.8 diesel
02 Rover 25 TDi

These are dealer prices. Dealer's are skint at the mo, so wang the Golf through the auction/small ads or keep it. Then, go to your chosen dealership with a big handful of folding and ask for a 10% discount for no trade-in. If he even starts to haggle, walk away, but leave your phone number. The country is awash with unsold used cars.

Good Hunting!

I went to an auction in Newport Gwent last week and there were lods of cars not making the reserve, with readys in hand you will get a bargin good luck

Yep, auctions can be a very cheap way to buy, but it's buyer beware. If your new purchase blows a ring 3 days after you buy it, you're on your own. Given that he needs a car for his new job, buying from a dealer will get you a min. of 3 months warranty. Aftermarket warranties are a good idea too.

Brecon_billy may I suggest that you seriously consider a Japanese

manufacturer.

A Toyota or a Nissan may be just the thing that you need. They are

superbly engineered and will run for years.

I know that a lot of blokes still are anti Jappo, but it does not make sense

in this day and age.

I have a friend who runs a Toyota Corolla she bought in 1985 that now has

250,000 kms on the clock but still runs like a sewing machine.

If you're not bothered by ego, try one.

Good luck with the new job.

I got a corsa 1.2 16v does 420 miles on a 40 litre tank, good at motorway and pootling around town its a w reg so parts are plentiful and cheap

basso said:
Brecon_billy may I suggest that you seriously consider a Japanese

manufacturer.

A Toyota or a Nissan may be just the thing that you need. They are

superbly engineered and will run for years.

I know that a lot of blokes still are anti Jappo, but it does not make sense

in this day and age.

I have a friend who runs a Toyota Corolla she bought in 1985 that now has

250,000 kms on the clock but still runs like a sewing machine.

If you're not bothered by ego, try one.

Good luck with the new job.
The Japanese pecking order for car reliability goes:

Never break:
Subaru
Honda
Toyota

Might possibly break:
Nissan
Daihatsu
Suzuki

Guaranteed to break:
Mitsubishi

Dear Billy do you live in Brecon, if so get down to the VALLYS,NEWPORT orCARDIFF were there are so many car dealers for 2 grand you should get a cracker

You can get a diesel Laguna or C5 for that money, but they're not reliable enough (with about 70,000 on clock).

Rover 45 diesel isn't a bad bet - less likely to die than a french car. If you're doing 90 miles a day you want something comfy, so going to a really small car may not be the best idea.

Main issue is reliability - you want to go Jap, but their diesels from then are shyte. French were the only ones making very good diesel engines, but they'll eat a turbo every 70k, need suspension working every 50k, ECUs, clutches every 30k etc

A ford focus 1.8tdci will start at about £2500 for an 02 reg with 70k - they're very good cars and will do 50mpg. You may be able to get them to discount.

Going smaller a 1.4tdci Ford Fiesta with about 80k (02/03) will be just under £3k, though i doubt you'll get a discount the size of £1k! Will do 60mpg though.

Oh! and Billy, if you live in Brecon, would you mind telling me whether

the Royal Welch Fusiliers Depot with its Keep, still exists.

I did my Lance Jacks course there in 1957. It would be great to know.

basso said:
Oh! and Billy, if you live in Brecon, would you mind telling me whether

the Royal Welch Fusiliers Depot with its Keep, still exists.

I did my Lance Jacks course there in 1957. It would be great to know.
The 24th foot depot was in Brecon Keep and is HQ Wales, Dering Lines is a mile down the road

Trooper. I walked out the gate in 1965, I can't remember all those

numbers. Please elaborate old son. Is it still there?

I had a great time, still have legs like tree trunks from all those hills. :D

IT's still there in the Whatten, the old A40 out of Brecon , was there last month

Thank you Tropper, I am very pleased to hear that.

MOD seems to have destroyed so much of its history.

If you are ever passing and you happen to have a camera and a few

minuted to spare, a photograph would be a godsend for the reminiscence

of an old bloke. :D

Bit of a cheek I know, but if I can reciprocate, I am more than willing.

Ill be up there next week don't know how to post a photo, so pm me and ill send um snail mail or by mobile phone

Basso, for heavens sake, take a drive up there young man, this is UK, not the US coast to coast or have you had to hand your licence in? :D

Brecon-Billy, while I can't specify a car mate all I can say is that with the second hand car market gagging for punters and you with £2k in your back pocket, you will get a mega car and a mega deal so don't be too concerned..... just choose the right car.

There's a gorgeous rover P5B Coupe on Ebay right now with no reserve..... Convert to gas and hey presto! :roll:

PandaLOVE said:
Basso, for heavens sake, take a drive up there young man, this is UK, not the US coast to coast or have you had to hand your licence in? : Basso is in NZ

Brecon-Billy, while I can't specify a car mate all I can say is that with the second hand car market gagging for punters and you with £2k in your back pocket, you will get a mega car and a mega deal so don't be too concerned..... just choose the right car.

There's a gorgeous rover P5B Coupe on Ebay right now with no reserve..... Convert to gas and hey presto! :roll:

PandaLOVE said:
Basso, for heavens sake, take a drive up there young man, this is UK, not the US coast to coast or have you had to hand your licence in? :D

Ah! Panda old son, if it were only so easy. New Zealand is a feckin long

way from Wales. No, I still have my licence and will have for some time.

That is one thing I am not looking forward to losing. They'll have to pull

my teeth first....yes, I've still got em all. :wink:

Ah Basso when my bird is there next month could you push her in one of those boiling mud pits please

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eric England The NAAFI Bar 51
C Transition & Veterans Research 0
WonDERR REME 15