Advice needed - Miendl boots fit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by foggy_balla, Oct 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just seeking simple advice from any boot guru's. I bought a pair of Meindl walking boots a few months ago, and to be brief they're cutting the friggin heels off of me. They felt a really good fit in the shop and gave me no bother at all when I was mincing about the house in them prior to taking them out (on the assumption that if they weren't quite right they would be in a fit state to return!). However the first time I hit the hills in them, my heels were cut to ribbons. I've worn them a couple of times since with the same result. I've tried wearing my normal walking socks, with army socks, two pairs of thin socks, vaseline rubbed into my feet, feet taped up. No joy however. I've worn dozens of different boots over the years and never had this problem. They're a great fit, they're just rough on my poor heels. Any advice appreciated.

2. Zinc oxide tape - the miracle cure for all things bootsy

3. Cheers Bambi. I'm no stranger to zinc oxide at the moment due to said boots. I'm looking for advice on something along the lines of heel inserts, padding or even insoles that may help rather than constantly taping my feet up for these boots.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Meindl are a bit on the wide side as standard. Superfeet insoles (green) are about the best off the shelf insoles for hiking boots. Depending on where you are in UK you may be able to find a good boot fitter, but its hard in UK.
    You could also try wearing a thin pair of inner socks and experimenting with sock/boot combos.

5. Which part of your heel are you talking about here? I'm guessing the lower area of the vertical part of the heel and guessing it is friction / blisters there. It sounds like you have some heel lift happening - so is that from the boot having a bad heel shape for you, not having them tight enough or having too much room in the boot when you do tighten them?

6. Ignore Hinecap, the only boots he is an authority on are orthopedic, built up sole boots.

7. I get this with issue boots. To the point where my heels are still destroyed even when covered in several layers of nice thick zinc oxide after only about 4 miles. I have tried every size in the ten and eleven range and it ALWAYS happens.

After one CFT both my heels were just two big blisters. I wear Hanwags now.