Advice Needed, Legion or Solicitor?

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by stev1978, Jun 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all,

    I will try to be as brief as possible, in 2002 I had an accident whilst in Afghanistan. ever since then I have been suffering and am now on unpaid sick leave after yet another operation, this time i have had some bone removed from my spine and a herniated disc removed.

    I have been advised to contact the legion to process a claim for medical negligence. Now, I am no longer in the forces but i know how things work. I expect the process to be long and tough but there should be a reward at the end for my loss of earnings and pain endured.

    The question i have is.... shall i make the claim through the british legion or should i look at a civilian company like Thorntons or similar?

    Thanks in advance for your guidance, i have never done this before so just looking for the best options.
  2. Any reason you can't do both? The RBL have a good track record however at the end of the day they can only pass you over to a specialist firm anyway, they are not lawyers.
  3. Steve,

    Good luck.
  4. when I saw the thread title I was hoping it was going to be in the joining up section.
  5. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

  6. Thanks very much for all your posts. I gave Gilbert a call but he no longer deals with this type of claim, they have taken my details and have said that they will get back to me by the end of next wee...(you sure he doesnt work for the forces :D )

    I only get 1 shot at filling in this AFCS/WPS001 and want to make sure I get all the data in that is needed.
  7. You should read both JSP 765 (AFCS) and the AFCS legislation. There is also a wealth of info on this site so trawl through it as research.

    Medical negligence is not covered by AFCS so if you have not already applied for AFCS for the original injury, you are probably going to be pursuing both a civil case for medical negligence and an AFCS claim.

    Be prepared for delay on your AFCS claim if you do indeed pursue a claim for medical negligence; even if there is no delay prepare for your (potential) AFCS award to be revisited after your civil case!
  8. I wouldn't bother too much with a solicitor who says he will get back to a prospective new client by the end of next week, I would though see a specialist personal injury solicitor. Given that your injury was in 2002 time limits may apply