Advice needed: iMac or 'All-in-One' PC

About to move to BATUS and rather than buy a new TV we are thinking that a decent all in one on which we can watch films, surf, skype etc. I am not a Tech whizz or computer expert. Any advice? Does anyone know if it would be possible to connect a Cable TV box to a computer to give us TV too? Many thanks.

Yes you can - I think you need some sort of tuner card or something. But why would you want to that now? It's so old school tech. If anything it's the other way around now - streaming TV. Best advice is what the above poster said ^

I am just trying to get some advice together before I get over there in a few weeks: would rather pay for a computer that I can still use back in the UK (or the children can) than a TV that I have to get rid of.

Yes you can - I think you need some sort of tuner card or something. But why would you want to that now? It's so old school tech. If anything it's the other way around now - streaming TV. Best advice is what the above poster said ^
Can you expand on this? Streaming TV?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I invested in an iMac 27" last month to replace my TV, DVD player and existing PC. Thus far I'm thoroughly impressed, it's the dog's danglies, I shall never buy a PC or Microsoft product again.

I haven't bothered with a TV card or tuner (although they are available for the iMac), we have reasonable internet speed here and I watch all my TV on things like 4OD, iplayer, YouTube or TV catchup.

Get one.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A combined PC/TV is all very well until you want to surf (for) ARRSE while your better half wants to watch Corrie.
Cheap Freeview TV mounted on the wall in the kitchen for that very purpose.

Edited to add: Not for corrie though, corrie is shit and full of Northern peasants.

I invested in an iMac 27" last month to replace my TV, DVD player and existing PC. Thus far I'm thoroughly impressed, it's the dog's danglies, I shall never buy a PC or Microsoft product again.

I haven't bothered with a TV card or tuner (although they are available for the iMac), we have reasonable internet speed here and I watch all my TV on things like 4OD, iplayer, YouTube or TV catchup.

Get one.
Seconded. Once you have Mac, you never go back......... (paraphrasing that epic line)

How about a mac mini and a decent 27" IPS monitor? If you search around you'll find some brands use the same display panel used by Apple. Although, my office/work machine is a 27" iMac and it is awesome. If you are intending to get a 27" iMac then I'd keep an eye(i?) on the Apple Refurb store - I bought a refurb 11" from there last year and I've had no problems with it (touch wood).

I would advise to go for a Mac over a PC though, just because if you're planning on using it for the living room, Macs tend to be silent.

Well the G3 was discontinued a mere 13 years ago, so not much of a problem these days. Presumably you compared it with the Microsoft offerings of the day (Windows 98 & DOS) and thought it a wise move at the time. It probably was.
Yes, as I reloaded the OS for the fourth time in a week, or called the helpline when the 'save in PC format' turned documents into gibberish, only to be told it was my fault for working with PC users, I would reflect on what a great improvement it was.

How I laughed as I chucked it in the bin.

Apple pretty much have the same prices everywhere I checked, convert approx price from USD as per US apple store to local currency a few %, add duty and VAT and that is pretty much your price. Very little if any 'price to market', which is rare but understandable, people would start shifting merchandise very quickly to exploit that niche.

As long as you stay within the 220/230V world it's all good. Buy where most convenient. I too have a 27" iMac and I had it upgraded to 12GB of Ram and 2TB HDD as well as OS lion, it remained fast and rarely needs updates (other than MS office I have on there), I have it run 24/7 and it is way better than anything I have ever owned by MS.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

Latest Threads