Advice needed: iMac or 'All-in-One' PC

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by scots_wahey, Jul 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About to move to BATUS and rather than buy a new TV we are thinking that a decent all in one on which we can watch films, surf, skype etc. I am not a Tech whizz or computer expert. Any advice? Does anyone know if it would be possible to connect a Cable TV box to a computer to give us TV too? Many thanks.

2. Why not wait till you get there and see what is available?

Shiny

3. Yes you can - I think you need some sort of tuner card or something. But why would you want to that now? It's so old school tech. If anything it's the other way around now - streaming TV. Best advice is what the above poster said ^

4. I am just trying to get some advice together before I get over there in a few weeks: would rather pay for a computer that I can still use back in the UK (or the children can) than a TV that I have to get rid of.

5. Can you expand on this? Streaming TV?

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I invested in an iMac 27" last month to replace my TV, DVD player and existing PC. Thus far I'm thoroughly impressed, it's the dog's danglies, I shall never buy a PC or Microsoft product again.

I haven't bothered with a TV card or tuner (although they are available for the iMac), we have reasonable internet speed here and I watch all my TV on things like 4OD, iplayer, YouTube or TV catchup.

Get one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bleddy hermers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ravers

9. A combined PC/TV is all very well until you want to surf (for) ARRSE while your better half wants to watch Corrie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ravers

Cheap Freeview TV mounted on the wall in the kitchen for that very purpose.

Edited to add: Not for corrie though, corrie is shit and full of Northern peasants.

11. Seconded. Once you have Mac, you never go back......... (paraphrasing that epic line)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Iz it coz I iz Mac?

13. I did, after buying one of their piece-of-shit G3 Pro horrors.

Robbing *****.

• Like Like x 1
  14. There's always one.