Advice needed - Getting my bike started

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Pocoyo, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sure someone can answer this pretty quickly.

Is it ok to jump start a bike from a car? Also while I'm here, anyone got any top tips for freeing a stuck clutch?

My bike has been stood for a while (sadly neglected) but it's time to get it sorted and it's booked in for service & MOT tomorrow. It's a long push to the garage!

For info it's a 98 R1.
  2. Wont do it much good, better to just charge the battery up overnight
  3. Thats the problem, I think battery is knackered and I just need to get it started to go 2 miles up the road where a new one awaits. The battery is not holding a charge at all, it's been on charge for 27 hrs!

Do you know what damage may/could occur ?
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you have time you are better off using a bike charger to charge the battery - the amps from the car battery are probably 3 times higher and will fry it, but if you are quick it works without significant harm.

What exactly is "stuck" regarding the clutch?
  5. Alsacian

Re the bty I've tried a bike charger but as I've said I think bty is knacked.

The clutch - I'm not sure what's happening here but if I put the bike in gear then pull the clutch in it wont budge (wheel feels locked), i've tried rocking the bike to no avail but admittedly I haven't put any monumental effort in as I don't want to cause further damage (if there is any). Should I go for a big push?
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

How are you charging it (could also be an alternator problem) - also you may not get 2 miles.

Damage just for a quick jump start is not a problem (I have owned Ducatis for many years), but can fry rectifiers and knacker the plates in a battery.

If you have a charged car battery is it complete with a car? If so use the car... :wink:
  7. You are probably ok jumping it from a car as long as the car is not running.
    If you do it with it running you are risking spiking the bike electrics.
    As for the clutch, your options are limited without dismantling it, your best option (which is difficult as you have a flat battery) is to bump start it and ride it, using the clutch lever as normal and it hould free off.
    If it doesn't you are gonna have a fairly savage ride when it comes to downchanging!
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If it has been stood a long time it could be any number of things, pistons, gearbox - try sticking it in top gear and see if it moves then - if not I would suggest a trip in a van to a competent spanner man if you are not comfortable working on a seized engine.
  9. Just noted the bit about the clutch. Sounds like you should skip the MOT tomorrow and work on fixing the bike first. Riding it there might not be an option even if you do jusmp start it.
  10. OK guys thanks, I'll try your tips and if necessary the garage will collect.

11. Alsacien,

Just nipped out and did the top gear thing, sorted! It's now free and ok in all gears. Thank you very much.

D-F-S, In fairness the MOT would be a bonus, it's booked in for a major service first and for any other problems to be sorted. The reason I had to book an mot was to legally ride it to the garage as it's been on a SORN for over a year.

Cheers for your help.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Good for you mate, that part could have been expensive.

If the battery is totally shagged and won't hold a charge at all it may not get you there - suggest you get a new one today and charge it overnight.

If your battery has been totally flat for a few months in cold garage its defo kaput - the newer gel cells survive better than your wet cell, but not much.

How long has it been stood?
  13. Last time I fired it up was about 3 months ago, before that I was religious about it (weekly) but the bike hasn't been ridden for over a year now. I'm pretty sure the battery has had it. I'm going to try the one off jump start in the morning and if unsuccessful the garage have offered to come and get it. I've ordered a new battery anyway, it's probably worth paying the cost of collection to avoid any problems I might cause myself.
  14. Its only my opinion but I usually like to make sure my bike runs properly before attempting to ride it. Have you checked the brakes out and so on. If its been stood that long they could have seized too.
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Sounds wise - good luck!