Advice needed for War widow

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by jambosun, Mar 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm visiting from Rum Ration in the hope that there will be someone one here who can give me some advice. We have a friend whose husband was killed in 91 in the Gulf War. She has a son in his late teens (who never knew his dad) who is autistic. She copes extremely well but of course everybody needs a break and some years ago her son attended a holiday with other autistic children that was specifically designed to meet their needs.

My questions are, would this sort of thing attract financial support from any Army Charities and where would be the best place to start, ABF, War Widows etc?

Sorry if something similar has been posted before but I'd be very grateful for any advice you can give.

See you all at Twickenham!! :wave:

2. Try SSAFA in your local area, they do cater for childrens holidays but not sure wether it would be autistic specific. If you don't know where your local office is then PM me and I'll give you the number.

3. Look up in the phone book local Royal British Legion County Field Officer
    Fell sure he/she will be able to get a case worker to make contact and help do the necessary paper work to sort out about a holiday.
    Roughly what area are you in ? I cover , with many others , Lincoln , if that is any help
    PM if I can assist

4. Thanks very much JD and OT,

I'll try both of those (in sunny Pompey) to try and get things moving. Hopefully an ARRSE member may have some experience/ideas that might cover the autistic angle.

Thanks again

5. I have the numbers for all the SSAFA offices in the Pompey region, where abouts exactly? PM if you don't want to place on an open forum.

6. JD, have PM'd you.

7. Seen. Reply sent.

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Go with the advice from Jd.
    He might be a para but we all have our cross to bear :wink: