• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Advice needed for new PC and printer

My HP Photosmart 7520 printer has just died on me and it looks like my Mac book pro is not far behind.

I need some advice for an AirPrint compatible printer, it needs to be colour, MFD (print, scan, copy), auto duplex and have it’s own paper tray.

I’ll probably be getting another MacBook, but I’m also looking at getting back into PC games. I won’t need a top end machine as I won’t be playing any massively fast paced games due to my knackered hands, but I will be able to play strategy games like Age of Empires, Total War and company of heroes and need a machine that can handle decent strategy games.

Recommendations please.

No idea what an AirPrint compatible printer is but colour laser printers are getting cheap nowadays. I'm thinking of getting one when I retire next year.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I used HP printers for decades. My 5850 stopped doing anything but print sometime after the Win10 upgrade. I'm currently using up the ink.

I needed scan function, so I compared the market and bought a Canon Pixma MX495. Coincidentally my son in law, who is very tech savvy, bought the same. Seems fine to me. The app works with this archaic Fire 7 tablet too, so it can not be too bad.

Probably way behind the curve; i’m Working with a HP Deskjet 3070A which does what you want and I think is AirPrint, although I have never used it that way. Laptop is a Notebook 15 BS016NV (memory half RAM and half flash)

Most if not all modern wireless printers support AirPrint. Brother do some good all-in-ones (I have an old one that keeps plugging on).

As for a PC, do you want a laptop or desktop?

If you want a laptop then Dell, Lenovo or possibly Acer. I have an Acer Travelmate and other then some Win10 driver annoyances, it's fine as a PC (about £450 for a Core i5).

If you don't want a fast desktop then one of the smaller PCs then something like the Acer Revo Cube or Fujitsu Esprimo Q556 are quiet and small for about £400.

I have a slightly older Esprimo Q520 that I got at a very good price of fleabay (new). Like these:

Fujitsu Esprimo Q510 USFF Ultra Small Form Factor PC (i3-3220/4GB/320GB/Win10) | eBay

Fujitsu Esprimo Q510 USFF Desktop,Intel Core I3 2.6GHz 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD Win 7 | eBay

I’ll be going for a desktop PC and also getting myself a MacBook Air.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A thought based on my experience. If you buy a bleeding edge PC, you pay. If you buy last year's, you may only get ½ the grunt. But if your old PC is five years old, you'll find you've got about 20 times the grunt of your last one.

If you're not gaming, why do you need more?

Moore's Law. Gotta love it. I bought a Dell for £500.

A thought based on my experience. If you buy a bleeding edge PC, you pay. If you buy last year's, you may only get ½ the grunt. But if your old PC is five years old, you'll find you've got about 20 times the grunt of your last one.

If you're not gaming, why do you need more?

Moore's Law. Gotta love it. I bought a Dell for £500.
That’s exactly the way I’m thinking, I’m not playing the latest shooters, so don’t need the grunt. One or even two steps from the top spec will be ok.

No idea what will be compatible, but I'm very happy with my Epson Workforce Pro 5110 printer.
it's a small office one so it's fast & also does good colour prints.
Not a scanner too, as I've an ancient Canon one for the rare occasions I need it.

That’s exactly the way I’m thinking, I’m not playing the latest shooters, so don’t need the grunt. One or even two steps from the top spec will be ok.
In which case I would strongly recommend the Fujitsu Q510 Core i3 above with Win7.
The Q520 I have is fast, quiet and very well built plus has the advantage of a built-in DVD drive.

I have an Acer Revo RL80 Core i3 in the office like this one. Again, perfectly adequate for day-to-day stuff plus the type of basic games you might want.

Acer Revo RL80 Mini Computer Celeron 1.5Ghz 4GB 750GB HDMI | eBay

As I don't have much desk space in the office the Acer is actually mounted on the back of the monitor. The Fujitsu sits on a small shelf above my monitor.

Of the two, the Fujitsu at £150 is a bargain.

I've had a few printers now and they've always been colour inkjets capable of doing good quality photo prints, as well as routine black text stuff. However I became sick and tired of Epson after having to pay lots of dosh for ink, and getting messed about over it. Finally being told that I have to change some inkpad before I can continue using it. Eventually I went on line and found that billions (almost) of people also had come to hate Epson for the same reasons. Then I found a download driver that let me reset the Epson messages and also use much cheaper ink cartridges. The cheapies cost less for a box of 12 than even Tesco charged for one and the quality is comparable. However, the nuisance and annoyance means that I will never buy another Epson product.

Mind you I decided to get a simple black only laser printer and was disgusted at the price of the refills. Until I found this firm on line: Toner refill kits | Do-it-yourself laser cartridge refills Following their good advice I got a Brother Laser printer and one of their refill kits and have been pleased with it. I would happily recommend this firm to anyone looking into getting a laser printer or looking to refill their toner cartridges.

I can see the point in refill kits, but I’d never use them, too much of a pain in the arse for me.

Most if not all modern wireless printers support AirPrint. Brother do some good all-in-ones (I have an old one that keeps plugging on).
I would strongly agree

If you are using a mac a Brother all-in-one laser is a good way to go. Print quality is good, eBay cartridges are cheap and easy to fit and the scanner over WiFi works a treat.

HP seem to hate Apple and software "updates" have been known to remove features (like scanning over the WiFi).

Samsung are being sued by Apple and are no longer keeping their software up to date - who could blame them.

As has been pointed out Epson have fixed ink heads that block depressingly easily.

I gave up trying to get a Lexus to connect to a mac - but have nothing against Cannon:)

So that is my roundup of prejudices!

I've had a few printers now and they've always been colour inkjets capable of doing good quality photo prints, as well as routine black text stuff. However I became sick and tired of Epson after having to pay lots of dosh for ink, and getting messed about over it. Finally being told that I have to change some inkpad before I can continue using it. Eventually I went on line and found that billions (almost) of people also had come to hate Epson for the same reasons. Then I found a download driver that let me reset the Epson messages and also use much cheaper ink cartridges. The cheapies cost less for a box of 12 than even Tesco charged for one and the quality is comparable. However, the nuisance and annoyance means that I will never buy another Epson product.

Mind you I decided to get a simple black only laser printer and was disgusted at the price of the refills. Until I found this firm on line: Toner refill kits | Do-it-yourself laser cartridge refills Following their good advice I got a Brother Laser printer and one of their refill kits and have been pleased with it. I would happily recommend this firm to anyone looking into getting a laser printer or looking to refill their toner cartridges.
I buy epson ink, each colour X 70ml at +/_£8 each,{ 6 colours £48 } I run two printer a XP 620 and a R360
Edit That's original epson ink

What about the Epson Ecotank printers?

Anyone use HP instant ink?

Are you in the market for a new MacBook Pro? The new 15" inch(2018) is coming in at nearly £2.4k from John Lewis, strangely the same price in dollars as it's being sold at in the US.

Apart from the price hike it's only got two expansion ports, and is un-upgradeable in terms of RAM, so you may struggle to get all your other hardware attached to it.

I've been using Macs professionally for twenty years and currently own four, the eldest going back to 2008 which is still in daily use as a server. I won't being replacing them with Macs when they eventually die.

The new Macs seem to be a rich man's toy now - and good luck if you're in that position, but there is now a market in late, old style Macs being properly refurbished with new motherboards, RAM and SSD drives. Hoxton Macs is worth looking at.

MM

I was looking at the Mac air, but could easily go to a laptop. I need a portable option for office tasks.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
if you're not chasing numbers specs wise and want to play the very latest shooters in eye-bleeding resolution, you can probably price up a capable machine for £600-700, less the monitor and peripherals. gfx card prices are finally calming down, it's the ram that's going to cost you atm.

I don’t mind paying for the ram, I’m impatient, so can’t stand hang ups.