advice needed for daughter

Discussion in 'OTC' started by DieHard, Sep 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

My daughter has stressed that she wants to be a doctor in the army, however most recruiting staff cant really give the advise she needs and all suggest she becomes a nurse. Is it possible to get sponsored some way when she goes to university? she has been told she needs to be a qualified doctor before joining.
    She may have a couple of years before starting college but she wants all the info and help she can get.
    Any ideas or help much appreciated :?
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Can't give you much specific advice but watch the recruiting staff - they're often more about filling quotas for types of recruits than giving the best career advice.
  3. Yes, she should contact the nearest TA Medical Unit. She can train with the OTC (the fun bit) but also be on the books of the Army Medical Services TA, that way she has the support of her potential med colleagues. She has to be studying MEDICINE though. Nursing is a different matter altogether.

Once she's her finished her 3rd year studies she can apply for a medical cadetship. One or two hoops to jump through before she get's it, mind, recommendations, Selection board and all that stuff.

More info on-line at Army Jobs or on the TA Website.

OTC might not be happy, but they do not have a choice. Advice, get her to enjoy the OTC, then switch later.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Here's a LINK to the web pages she can get all the info she needs. She can get sponsorship and in her third year that equates to a salary of £13k going to £17K in her final year. She does have to sign her soul away for that :D

If she has the qualifications, tell her to ignore the recruiters advice and go off and become a doctor. The Forces are always short of MOs and she'll be far more employable (and be better paid) both in the Services or in the real world when she chooses to leave.
  5. I seem to remember that some MOs I worked with in the past were approached by the military whilst still at Medical School. They were offered sponsorship to complete their training provided they signed-up for X number of years. Sorry but I don't know if this still happens but its worth finding out. Hope this is of help - Good Luck.
  6. Any ideas what uni she might want to go to??
  7. Get your grotty little hands of his daughter.

I knew a number of people on the 5 year medicine course who took an army bursary in their final two years. So far I've not heard of one who's regretted it.
    They were all extremely dedicated though, bright and hard working.