Advice Needed - 18yo, 27st, Tired of dreaming.

This is personally hard for me to write up as I'm not a person that's very comfortable talking about myself even choosing a title was a hard choice for me so be ready for a long read.

I'm 18 years old from Wales and I currently weigh roughly 27stone (I know right, geez), I currently work full time in IT and since a young age I have always had a passion about the military it's simply not because of the adrenaline and what Hollywood makes it look like, I follow the military religiously and I'm always saying one day I'll be in the military. I want to join the Welsh Guards or the PWRR but obviously due to my circumstances it's not possible.

I lack motivation to get fit but I'm tired of dreaming and waiting for things to happen and I want to get off my ass and do something with my life, I hate the current path my life is going. I know this will not be an easy thing but life ain't easy and you have to fight for what you want.

I have found British Military Fitness and It seems to be a great place to start and I know it wont happen overnight but you cant expect to reach somewhere without trying. Here are my questions.

• Is it a dream that is not reachable?
  • How can I motivate my self to push my barriers?
  • Does the Military allow Glasses as I have bad eye sights, Don't like contact's but I shall wear them if needed.
Small last question: I'm to afraid to loose weight as of extra skin, I personally know it will effect me badly mentally or I will possibly do something to my self as the thought of it is terrifying is there anything that can be done to reduce this as I'm willing to save for the operation if needed. Feel free to ask me any questions I do not get offended at all.

I'm being rather serious here.
My sister in law had Weight issues after having the kids, she went too weight watchers, some of the groups are now seeing more and more men joining.

If you are serious about getting the weight off, consider going to a group like this, they can help you. They can set you realistic goals and you also have a network of people in the same boat who can help and motivate you.

Good luck.

Edit. As for the excess skin issue, cross that bridge when you get to it!
Get the weight off first, pardon the pun, but do it in bite size chunks, it ain't going to happen overnight.

First thing, lose the weight. The rest of your life can start from when you get down to a healthy weight.

A plastic surgeon will deal with loose skin.

You say two things:

"I want to get off my ass and do something ..."

And

"How can I motivate myself ..."

The key is in the first quote: "I want to ..." If that is right then you are already motivated. You can do it.

It may be that you may benefit from taking some time out occasionally to focus on your goals and what achieving them will bring to your life. It may seem strange to suggest it in this context, but a bit of meditation may help. Speak to your GP, or google "mindfulness"

You stand on the edge of a truly life changing experience. Seize the day!

Good luck.

Well you're young so time is on your side. In your shoes I'd get a personal trainer,you won't necessarily need it for the complete weight loss but it'll be much easier if you have someone pushing you and motivating you. And yeah,weight watchers too.

Good on you for trying to reverse your circumstances.

What's your diet like?
If it's junk food and crap there lies a big part of your issue.
Wean yourself off of the junk food, it's full of sugar.

Lean meat, fish and loads of salads.
This is where support groups like Weight Watchers are a great help, they can plan out diets and other plans to help you lose the weight and more importantly make it stay off. My weight went up quite a bit, I cut out the sweets, alcohol and junk food, the weight came off with a regular ride on an exercise bike and a half decent diet.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wasting your time, Welsh you say.... :wink:

Good advice above - it is achievable- but you're going to have to find that inner motivation.

Good luck.

First thing, lose the weight. The rest of your life can start from when you get down to a healthy weight.

A plastic surgeon will deal with loose skin.
^this.

Nothing wrong with taking a few baby steps towards exercise, but you can't phys yourself thin - you need to eat right.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Talk to your doctor about the best way to start. Diet and exercise will put new stresses on your body, so the doc's advice on how to start will be vital. Talk to your local gym/leisure centre. They will be happy to advise on low impact exercise to start with. Don't be embarrassed to be seen in a gym. 90% of people won't give a toss, 9% will think 'good for him, he's doing something about it' and 1% of people are certified to$$ers so we can discount whatever they think.

Go for it and good luck.

PS. It could be far worse, you could work in HR - in which case you'd burn in hell without hope of redemption.

The key point is many people say they don't have the will power to change, this is bull, you need to be ready to change and you don't need the TA or military for that, you are just heaping pressure on yourself and inviting critisism.

I would hazard a guess you eat sh1t and drink gallons of fizzy drinks because you feel tired.

Cut out fizzy drinks, just drink water, lots and lots of water, I see your type walking to work with 500ml cans of red bull equivalent cos they are tired, of course you are tired, most people are, but don't think that is the answer to being tired, the answer is in health and you are just making it worse.

if you want to do two things, eat fruit and nuts instead of this 3 or 4 chocolate bars a day, eat as much fruit as you want but vary it, don't just eat a bowl of bananas plus orange take longe to eat as you need to peel them, and drink pts of water. You will almost piss and shit yourself thin.

Don't think about anything else, still eat your take aways but just do this.

You need to get natural energy first, I recon you wil lose 10kg in 3 months. If you are always hungry, fill up on water.

Good luck.

You should look into the thousands of physical and mental health problems you are inflicting on yourself and then use that motivation to start losing the weight and getting fitter. Don't be thinking about excess skin or being eligible to apply to the army because it's in the distant future right now and is the least of your worries.

Id also suggest getting to see your GP. There was (dunno if there still is) a scheme to get people into gyms/pools for free with a gp referral.
I know people who found a fitness and food diary useful.
There are plenty of exercises you can do with household objects, bottles of water, tins of beans etc.

Good luck

Sign up for a free site like my fitness pal, or Sparkpeople where you can log your diet and exercise and set acheivable targets, it will give you graphs of progress etc. as well as following the advice above, don't lie to it you are only cheating yourself.

Id also suggest getting to see your GP. There was (dunno if there still is) a scheme to get people into gyms/pools for free with a gp referral.
There are plenty of exercises you can do with household objects, bottles of water, tins of beans etc.

Good luck
"I want you to lift the tin of beans above your head and... where's the tin of beans?"

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Good luck
The only excercise referral scheme we have left locally is for obese people, he may be in luck.
As for the OP, at such a young age you may not get loose skin.
Get cracking today, tomorrow never comes. Do something today, right now.

Whether you get yourself into a condition to join the army or not you seriously need to do something or you won't be around to do anything.

Only you can motivate yourself. Walking for an hour a day might be a good start before you worry about gyms. You'll have to juat stop eating so much though, no way around that.

Good luck. Go for it. You've got everything to lose! :)

Latest Threads