Advice/ information please

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by oldcolt, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is an amalgam of a few other posts I have made on here so appologies if you've read bits of this before. However, after 6 months being 'back in'/ going through training again and of hanging around Arrse (that sounds SO wrong :oops: ) I have a much clearer idea of what I want to do if able. I am now looking for some help/ advice/ inside knowledge- experience and the usual sarcasm/ sick humour that goes with any such post :roll:

Background: At 42 I am at my fittest since I was training for selection with 'them' in my twenties (I couldn't go for it in the end - long story-now divorced :x ) and can pass the RM /Para fitness standard tests (2.4k in 9.24, weighted marches, heaves etc) reasonably comfortably. I was an NCO with a fair list of courses/ skills when I left in 2001 but, had been an officer cadet twice (again a long story - Army f*ckup x2). My current state of play is I have finished weekend 7 and have two more weekends to go before Catterick in October. After 8 years out, skill fade has been noticeable, but I'm finding it an enjoyable doddle in general.

I REALLY want to do an operational tour and intend to take the AACC course early next year - (pride/ too old to apply for 'them' again). However, despite my age, I have been told by the OC of my training depot that I could go for officer again if I can persuade my OC that I'm worth it. I'm pretty sure I can make a good case, but don't want to feck up my chances of going on tour/ doing the AACC by being stuck on a long winded commissioning course. Can I have my cake and eat it and, if so,; how? :? - edited once to ellicit more information
  2. msr

msr LE

Only you can answer this question by prioritising between Tour / AACC / CC.

And you have pretty much answered it in your post...

A tour can be pretty much guaranteed.

AACC - if your unit offers it and there are vacancies.

CC - if you can persuade your OC.

You can have your cake and eat it if you have the time to put in, but remember: Family -> Work -> TA.

3. First of, I hope, many replies MSR. Thanks :)
    Family: kids now of an age when they are leaving home - wife 100% behind me :D
    Work: I run/ own my own business and have a fantastic manageress who has always been trained/ expected think 'one up' LOL
  4. All I'd say is that the commissioning course usually takes around 6 months to a year from scratch - with all the modules plus Briefing and Main Board, what with all the timings. They've just cancelled the March TACC meaning you'd have to wait till next July at the earliest to complete MOD 4.

Different brigades run the course differently - there are 2 week condensed courses and weekend courses so you can jig it around to suit you to an extent. But I think you'd have to choose between doing a tour now and looking at a Commission when you got back - perhaps getting the bulk of it out the way during your leave - or vice versa. In most cases you'd have to wait out a probationary period of about 1 year before going on tour with your commission although I believe you can get that waived in certain circumstances.

I don't know a lot about AACC but knowing what a commitment TAPO is, I wouldn't want to run it alongside anything else - it's hard enough squeezing in the odd sqdn weekend if you're working full time too :D
  5. msr

msr LE

Then all you need to do is get the course / tour dates off your PSI, persuade your OC (but at 42 I think you may be stretching the limits) and start juggling your calendar, whilst keeping an eye on the 50 MTD cap ;)

Are you in a unit which requires AACC?

6. Time off is not a particular problem for me, especially weekends so does anyone on here have any knowledge of how 43 Bde runs things in all this/ My 'ideal' would be to start my CC ASAP, do my AACC early in the New Year (course dates haven't been published yet - but expecting February/ March based on this years dates) and then PUFO to sunny Afghan in Summer of 2010 8)
  7. Rifles, and we are actively encouraged to do so :D (Have already sniper taped up my zimmerframe in anticipation) :lol:
  8. msr

msr LE

Then I don't think you will be able to fit a TACC into that time frame.

But don't let me stop you trying.

It's all a matter of sitting down with your PSI,the big red book of courses and your diary.

9. Mong alert! So, who and how do I approach this and in what order :oops: Ask to see the OC or the PSI first?
  10. msr

msr LE

11. Thanks. PS on the top totty time post, may I suggest you take your own advice and don't mention IT then try Advice
  12. Well getting your commission by summer next year isn't an impossibility. However, remember Sandhurst must be completed within 6 months of MOD 3 plus PRACTAC 1 is only valid for 6 months also. The courses for TAPO are generally only run 2 or 3 times a year and as March TACC has been cancelled, you'd need to get on to the July intake. And you've got to get Briefing and Main Board in and you don't know what delays there might be on that.

But as regards a tour, as said earlier, you may well not be able to mobilise during your probation after that so might have to put a tour back a little or see if they would wait a little longer on the commission side of things.
  13. You face a hurdle in getting an age waiver at 42. RMAS is really discouraging overage applicants and the new Col TA has said that the age is not to creep up further. Older OCdts struggle on Module 4 because their recovery time is greater than that of younger people.

If you really want to be commissioned, then your chain of command will need to find out if there is a possible route before you start. My suggestion is that your OC/adjutant talks to your RTC OTW and explains why you are a special case who will sail through the TACC. The RTC will raise your case with the RMAS TA officer responsible for your RTC's area who can sound out Col TA at RMAS if necessary. It sounds lengthy but we all speak to each other quite often and it can probably be cracked by a couple of phone calls.

If you want to do a tour as an officer you will have to complete Post Commissioning Training (3 weekends) and Brecon plus some time in post first. Because of the need to do Brecon, you don't have to do CIC which will save 15 MTDs.

MTD cap. All the RTC COs were told today at RMAS that MTD restrictions will not prevent a TAPO from commissioning. Your OC/Adj is unlikely to know this.

Edited to add:

Just realised that I have riddled this post with TLAs and worse, so before I'm savaged by MSR again....

RTC = Regional Training Centre
    OTW= Officer Training Wing
    TACC = TA Commissioning Course
    Col TA = the TA Colonel at RMAS who is responsible to Commandant RMAS for the delivery of the TACC
  14. Thanks for all the (very detailed and constructive) advice to date. Hoping to see the PSI tomorrow evening and will update on here for info purposes.

Just playing devils advocate for a second though, as we now have 'equality and diversity' enforced across the services, could an argument be made for age discrimination if I were refused on age grounds alone (ie could pass every other test thrown at me?)?
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is not so much about the equality as the MS (ie courses and promotion) issues. You are 42 now, and will commission (at best) by 43. Your first look at Captain (assuming you are a graduate) is 45, if you are a non-grad, it will be 48. Then a further 5 (IIRC) years to Major, giving you first look at Coy Command at 53.

For the Inf, this is just unrealistic unless an LE doing OC HQ Coy, and you run the risk of being rejected on the grounds that you will be career failed due to age. You may have more leeway if applying for a Corps than Inf.