Advice - Herrick

Discussion in 'RLC' started by loggie84, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just been told by my psi that my name is one of several being sent to our regular sister regt for Op Herrick (next years winter tour). As this is my first tour (and also with being a stab) i was after some advice on what to expect, kit to take/avoid etc.... cheers

2. Expect a glamourous bird at every turn
    Take Desert Combats, they seem to be the fashion over there
    Avoid getting under your Tp staffys feet
    Switch on your telly and watch the News, there seems to be loads on about it at the moment.

3. Whats your trade and where do you think you will be going.

4. Youll be more than likely in Bastion so 2 sets of combats, 2 sets of PT Kit, doss bag, and a good book. Everything else you need is there and its hardly arduous.

5. Was originally told i'd be a stacker (i know) but that's all changed and i've got SV courses planned for the next few months so will be going out as a driver but wont know whether i'll be in a DROPS troop or what until i link up with 1LSR.

6. You need to find out what your sqn will be doing, on Herrick 12 6 Regt drivers stayed on Bastion while 12 LSR did lots of CLPs.

7. Don't bother with a comfy box, by the time it gets there you'll have to pack it to come back.

You'll definitely need warm kit, everything you are issued with is good enough and you should have no problems if you are in a vehicle. However some Helly Hansen warm thermals make life that little nicer.

That said, don't worry about kit just dig out blind on your training, always have a go at everything don't just stand at the back and let everyone else have a go at it.

8. Sound thanks for that

9. Lifesabummer;

I suggest you switch on your telly and watch the news, desert combats are sooo HERRICK 11/12, MTP is all the rage now....