Advice/ help please

Discussion in 'Officers' started by oldcolt, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ALSO POSTED IN 'JUST TA' - (Hope this is allowed MOD's) :)

This is an amalgam of a few other posts I have made on here so appologies if you've read bits of this before. However, after 6 months being 'back in'/ going through training again and of hanging around Arrse (that sounds SO wrong ) I have a much clearer idea of what I want to do if able. I am now looking for some help/ advice/ inside knowledge- experience and the usual sarcasm/ sick humour that goes with any such post

Background: At 42 I am at my fittest since I was training for selection with 'them' in my twenties (I couldn't go for it in the end - long story-now divorced ) and can pass the RM /Para fitness standard tests (2.4k in 9.24, weighted marches, heaves etc) reasonably comfortably. I was an NCO with a fair list of courses/ skills when I left in 2001 but, had been an officer cadet twice (again a long story - Army f*ckup x2). My current state of play is I have finished weekend 7 and have two more weekends to go before Catterick in October. After 8 years out, skill fade has been noticeable, but I'm finding it an enjoyable doddle in general.

I REALLY want to do an operational tour and intend to take the AACC course early next year - (pride/ too old to apply for 'them' again). However, despite my age, I have been told by the OC of my training depot that I could go for officer again if I can persuade my OC that I'm worth it. I'm pretty sure I can make a good case, but don't want to feck up my chances of going on tour/ doing the AACC by being stuck on a long winded commissioning course. Can I have my cake and eat it and, if so,; how? - edited once to ellicit more information