Advice from ultra-marathon runners.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by womblefruit, Oct 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there guys, I'm new to arrse, ex-serving however been out for a few years now so I have drifted quite comfortably into civilian life. I have been bitten by the ultra -marathon bug in a way that I never was in the Army, there PT was just a pain in the arrse! I completed the Jurassic Coast Challenge a few months ago, 3 marathons in 3 days, then went on the the Jurassic 24 which was the same course in 24 hours, again here I just dribbled in under the cut-off time. I have just entered what is called the Viking Ultra and quite honestly I'm wondering if it is a bridge too far. 149 miles, 40 hours. Techniclly less than 4 miles an hour however I'm pretty phased by the whole idea if it.

Question is, very simply, guys i need some help on this. I'm not a running nut, i don't know all that much about nutrition, diet, training plans etc ..... i really would like some advice. I'm runnig 4 ten milers a week, 30's at the weekend and doing a massive ammount of CV in the gym in between. Distance running I hit 50's quite comfortably however 3 of them back to back is a bit daunting. I also run /march with weight 15miles, 2 hours 30 with a 35lb rucksack.

Any ultra-marathon / endurecne event guys out there, I'd really like to chat and find out how to build a structured training regime and maybe swap ideas / tips or goad each other on to more silly and ridiculous events! My Viking Ultra is less than a week after next years Jurassic Coast Challenge and quite honestly the timing couldn' t be worse but I aim to do them both. any help, tips or advice would be more than appreciated.

Votwo's The Oner on IssTV - YouTube

Introduction - The Viking Way Ultra

Anybody want to come and try it with me......?

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I tended to stop at 26 miles, though I did a 40 miler ages ago. The principal differences I know of are how to take food on board and how to train for those distances without succumbing to injury and burn-out.

Try trawling through here for ideas:

Long Distance Challenges

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

A service background will help. Much at that sort of distance is psychological; the ability to keep going when everything is saying a little kip and some dinner would be nice. Obviously, it's preferable to team up that attitude with a shedload of training.

The trick is to respect the distance and time on your feet by holding back any enthusiasm for speed early on.

4. I use these...

You look a dick, but they're great!http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/storia.aspx

5. Ditch the 35 Lbs rucksac if you need to train with a sack because you will be using one on the runs take a day sack with 6-8 kg in it, if on race day it weighs more than that you are taking to much.

Up the weekend long run, 30 miles is only just over a marathon and wont teach you anything about your mental capacity once you think your energy has run out. Then learn to eat and drink copious amounts while you are running, find out which high energy foods work for you, friend of mine used to eat oatcakes and cheese, used to make me throw up.

Very important to keep eating and drinking even when you think you don't need food, it will bite you in the arse later on when you physically cant eat anything.

Try running in the dark in any hilly place especially downhill does wonders for the confidence.

Enjoy

6. If you're on wankbook, look up Mike Buss, or his group page Mike Buss PT. Top lad, and would give you all the advice you will ever need, from mental preparation to diet etc. Failing that, PM me and ill pass you his number. Like I said, top lad, very helpful, and a good mate. Has over 40 world records for ultra endurance events, so he knows his shit, and recently opened his own gym in Swindon.

7. My wife started these mad run type things early this year. She has completed 30 and 50 mile ultras to date. Use Runners World and look at the thread wannabeeultrarunner theres lots of helpful advise. Also checkout Centurion running events. Dont bother with carrying shedloads of kit. If you are serious and wish to embark on ultras then try and get a trusted friend to crew for you (meet at predesignated points with refreshments outside of the scheduled stops).

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Did some work with an ultra distance runner who was having difficulty eating his meals when running. Did some saliva analysis, turned out dispite all monitoring beingdone on him, was just slightly constnstly dehydrated and thus not enough saliva.

Turns out the human body is far more sensitive to these things than machines can pick up!

9. 2 ones to look at are The Northants Ultra 35 miles and The JW Ultra

10. So far I've only done one ultra, a 55k overnight one last January, but really wanted proper food. I did it on my own (no support) so had to carry everything and think carefully about not overloading but also having the right clothes because it was absolutely freezing.

I've stopped using gels completely, favouring malt loaf, pork pie and jelly beans instead, and drink water with Nuun electrolyte tabs. Chocolate raisins are good in the winter. I've just signed up for a 170k run but spread over a few days.

JD on here is your man if you're looking for ultra advice.

11. Christ.I dont think I could drive that far without getting too tired.

12. Hi I used to do a 125 mile canoe race - 18 to24 hours non stop. A lot of research was done on the speed and amount of dehydration taking place. You can reduce the speed of degradation by taking fluids and high energy food every 30 minutes from the start of the event. Once the levels drop they can not be regained but by frequent replen you can reduce the speed of degradation. Good support crew is essential. Ditch the load carrying you will only increase the likelyhood of injury.
    Good luck, you're mental by the way :)

13. Great advice here, also a good sports massage once a month is almost crucial to keep you in tip top condition for years to come