Advice for would be Hunt Sabs

I've been going through my late mate's stuff this week - found his jump suit, what looks like a military parachute, jump record (mostly from a DH Rapide!) & his cap badge & discharge papers from the Artists Rifles in '67.
I know he had an "extended holiday" in Southern Rhodesia shortly after that but I don't think it was poachers he was culling.
Before you bin it, throw it in a cupboard to be forgotten forever, or sell it on ebay consider giving it to the appropriate Regtl. museum

Artist's have a curator of interesting historical items. You should be able to get his contact details through the airborne assault museum element of the IWM at Duxford. When the para and airborne museum was at Browning Barracks the nice lady who was the curator used to be forever getting priceless Regimental items off him to display.

As almost all of the subsidies go to meat and dairy production and I don't buy or eat either I don't think I will lose any sleep over it.
I don't see why any non viable businesses should be subsidised by the public purse.
I actually agree with you but why we are in the EU we have to accept their subsidised food and subsidise our farmers or they go bust leaving us unable to feed ourselves.
Note all farms draw single farm payment , look it up, also the veg you eat creates more environmental damage than a roast joint of beef.

I prefer to hunt foxes as nature intended.
I strip naked and use no weapons.
I will track and then pursue the animal over many miles.
Once I have it cornered it is then a good old fashioned fight to the death. Hand to paw.
I will then consume the corpse slowly over the course of several hours until I have had my fill.

All you utter utter embarrassments using horses and dogs, or heaven forbid a firearm should hang your heads in shame.

I actually agree with you but why we are in the EU we have to accept their subsidised food and subsidise our farmers or they go bust leaving us unable to feed ourselves.
Note all farms draw single farm payment , look it up, also the veg you eat creates more environmental damage than a roast joint of beef.
Near my old village we had a couple or three humungous grass fields where people used to go walk their dogs. My neighbour was one of the local farmers and he told me that the owners of those particular fields were very happy as they were being paid by the EU to leave them unused. My neighbour was pretty miffed about the whole deal and he reckoned there was some jiggery pokery, backhanders going on.

I prefer to hunt foxes as nature intended.
I strip naked and use no weapons.
I will track and then pursue the animal over many miles.
Once I have it cornered it is then a good old fashioned fight to the death. Hand to paw.
I will then consume the corpse slowly over the course of several hours until I have had my fill.

All you utter utter embarrassments using horses and dogs, or heaven forbid a firearm should hang your heads in shame.
You should make a thong out of the pelt of your next kill. That way you would not feel the cold so much.

As almost all of the subsidies go to meat and dairy production and I don't buy or eat either I don't think I will lose any sleep over it.
I don't see why any non viable businesses should be subsidised by the public purse.
Over regulation and predatory supermarkets account for a lot of the viability issues which is hardly just the fault of the businesses. I am amazed anybody still does it.

My neighbour was pretty miffed about the whole deal and he reckoned there was some jiggery pokery, backhanders going on.
I have heard stories of well-travelled sheep who spend time on Dartmoor and on non-hill farms, how this works I don't know......but the guy started out as a council tenant farmer and is now a major local landowner.

I have heard stories of well-travelled sheep who spend time on Dartmoor and on non-hill farms, how this works I don't know......but the guy started out as a council tenant farmer and is now a major local landowner.
Fraud does go on the same as in any industry , some farmers have been jailed .

The two fields to the right of the road and then the one to the right of the upper one, running next to the reservoir are the one's that were left to grass. They appear to be ploughed now but, I knew them as grass fields for a good 5 - 6 years and the farmer I knew reckoned that for the one nearest the village the annual bung from the EU was around the 30K quid mark. So for three fields it would be somewhere around 90K a year, easy to see how you could build up a small land empire on that kind of money.

Map ===> Maps

And the reservoir; the keepers kept having to fcuk off eastern europeans who thought they could fish there. Then the fcukers nicked all the drain and manhole covers around all the village roads and tried to sell them to a scrappy.

Before you bin it, throw it in a cupboard to be forgotten forever, or sell it on ebay consider giving it to the appropriate Regtl. museum

Artist's have a curator of interesting historical items. You should be able to get his contact details through the airborne assault museum element of the IWM at Duxford. When the para and airborne museum was at Browning Barracks the nice lady who was the curator used to be forever getting priceless Regimental items off him to display.
I doubt they'll be of much interest but I might ask. I'm not going to bin anything, though I've no idea why anyone would want a 50 year old parachute smelling of many years of nicotine deposits...

I doubt they'll be of much interest but I might ask. I'm not going to bin anything, though I've no idea why anyone would want a 50 year old parachute smelling of many years of nicotine deposits...
Stranger things mate, stranger things.

My mate Simon used to go trawl around the old bookshops in Leeds. One day he came back with a stack of 'old magazines' that the grand kids of some old bloke who had just died dropped off along with his book collection. The magazines were copies of Mars and Minerva back from the mist's of time up to the date at the time. Turned out the old boy was WW2 SAS, his name was written on every copy. It was interesting to read the real history, splitting off with Rhodesia, adventures of the Aussie's and the Kiwi's. Simon kept them and carefully preserved them, last time I saw a single copy of the Mars and Minerva Regtl Association journal for sale it went for around 400 quid.

You never know what you'll find.

Last edited:
9650edaa-2374-4eb0-aae2-17b7312855b7.jpg

Forest Friends : Valentine's Day Massacre Episode

A fox would not let anyone near enough to shoot it with a shotgun.
They would near me---- came back one very rainy night------wet paw prints on steps in stairwell (figured new neighbours young cat)-------- happy dry fox reclining on "Welcome" mat.
I even snuck up behind one until about 6 ft away--------just off Wimbledon common.

ugly

LE
Near my old village we had a couple or three humungous grass fields where people used to go walk their dogs. My neighbour was one of the local farmers and he told me that the owners of those particular fields were very happy as they were being paid by the EU to leave them unused. My neighbour was pretty miffed about the whole deal and he reckoned there was some jiggery pokery, backhanders going on.
Set aside, nothing new, in fact in the old days fields would be left fallow to recover, now the big money is in the HLS Higher level stewardship. For us this means planting more cover crops. It couldn't get much better for us really! I just wish the estate would manage its woodlands better, a bit of coppicing would work wonders.

ugly

LE
Fraud does go on the same as in any industry , some farmers have been jailed .
More incompetence at Rural England (or whatever defra is known as now) fined for failing to process paperwork so farmers dont get their money. Thats Ok? I hear you say, well yes in a world where no one gets subsidies however its not nor never likely to be a subsidy free industry. I suspect the French will still order our lambs even if just for the motorway BBQ's they used to love!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paddy Mayne’s Ghost The Intelligence Cell 68
S Juniors 15
W Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 5